Mild Surprise

Since receiving the letters the day before Lucius, Narcissa, and myself have been a bit baffled. Concern came off Narcissa in waves. Echoed loudly by Lucius's worry, and my own regret. Barty had been wondering what was happening but kept his mouth closed. So when the taping on the window caused the three of us to run to the window his eyes nearly popped out.

When the scratching of talons hitting the leather backing of the chair I knew he'd sent Hedwig. "Hello gorgeous. Give me just a moment then. How have you been Hedwig?" As soon as I said her name Barty looked sick then he saw the snow white owl and fainted of all things. "Well looks like your beauty can kill." I said chuckling a bit.

Taking the letter for me and letting her go to Lucius with the other. When she arrived at Lucius she picked at the string letting it fall into Lucius's lap. Then went back to the back of my chair. Watching Lucius like a hawk would pray. "Well Lucius I believe she knows what's in that mind telling us?"

"Yes we'll I think she's more so interested in my answer." He looked up at her then looked frightened. Turning I saw why her eyes were narrowed and she looked ready to go in for the kill. "M-My a-answer is yes you may. If he's willing." He handed the letter to Narcissa. Watching her for signs of his demise.

"Oh! Will we be host to your hatchlings Hedwig? Oh! little baby owl's does sound lovely! Ulysses is a lucky bird to get a smart girl like you. We should go make sure your room is in order come on then girl." Narcissa excitedly ranted walking over to Hedwig looking a young girl planning her best friends first date.

Barty sat up then looked around you left me on the floor written all across his face. "Nice of you to join the living don't worry the big bad owl is gone now you two." I laughed at them as I said it. "Yes Barty Harry has been writing us. He needs help. Lucius will explain." I waved towards Lucius as I opened the letter. Reading it twice. Before tuning in to Barty and Lucius.

"Trust me I know she is terrifying. I saw her steal bacon from Snape while I was teaching there. He even looked to frightened to do anything." He looked like he was truly scared of the bird. "Anything that can scare Severus Snape is to be feared."

"Yes well I know why he's scared of her. In their second year I saw that beast claw the shit out of his shoulder and head for giving Potter detention." Lucius's pale face was confirmation enough for me. "Bloody bird is worse then Hagrids beast's."

"Honestly you two you would think that innocent little owl was a demon the way you talk about her." I said in her defense. Though secretly impressed by her fierce loyalty to Harry Potter. "Barty did you find Harry to be easy to manage? I ask due to his request that you be his guard. Though he maintains his anonymous rouse." I look directly at Barty wanting only the truth.

He thinks for a moment. "My Lord I would be honored. He is a hard worker that boy. But with the public looking for both of us how will we manage?" He looks to me contemplatively. Clearly trying to work out how to make it work. "Also wormtail can't know, and Harry can never see him. I wouldn't have thought the boy capable of hate till Granger brought him up. Boy said things about him that could turn a dementor away green at the gills." He shivered at the memory.

I raised my newly forming brows towards my also newly forming hairline. "The location I have picked is out of the way enough you shouldn't have to worry to much. As for wormtail I have no complaints to keeping him in the dark on this." I looked at his sceptical face. And knew he had doubts. "What is it Barty, do you doubt me."

"It isn't doubt on your end My Lord. It is doubt on his. He enjoyed being outside to much to be happy indoors the whole summer." He looked down fidgeting with his hands. "How can I keep him inside when it's clear you want him happy."

"Barty is right My Lord. The boy is not someone who can be tamed so easily. He will want to go out. He will want to enjoy his freedom not live like he's still jailed." Lucius stated flatly also looking down.

"Yes I'm aware this is why he will be with you Barty. You will protect him. You will teach him. You will help him. There are always glamours. And I never said you would be in this country." Satisfied that that should cover everything I smiled at them. "Lucius did you make the arrangements at gringotts for him?"

"Yes My Lord everything is set and they will take us out the back after if necessary they will allow us use of their floo. Apparently they've been trying to get him to come in for some time." Lucius beamed at me. So I gave him as warm a smile as I could manage.

" Very good Barty you will go tonight here take this portkey." I handed over the portkey. "Inform the elves you'll be there to teach and watch over any outing they are aware Harry is to be treated as an adult and will follow his orders unless they will cause him harm." I instructed him carefully. Slyly telling him not to treat Harry as a child. "Barty take care of him." The worry lacing my voice enough to startle them both. With that I ordered them. "Barty go now password is home. Lucius see me here tomorrow after breakfast immediately." Without looking up I conjured up a beautiful bracelet for Harry. And began turning it into another portkey to my home in Australia.