Chapter 1 - Madison

I swing my bag over my shoulder, pulling my hair up in a ponytail as I call out to my mom. "Ma! I'm leaving no––"

I backtrack and find my mom mopping the kitchen, "I love Rock n' Roll" is blasting on the radio and her hips are shaking from side to side. I bite my lip, slowly pulling out my phone, careful not to make a sound. I press record, biting down on my lower lip to keep me from breaking out in laughter. She sings along, bobbing her head up and down. "I love Rock Roll!" She sings along and I can't help it, a chuckle slips out and she whips around so fast the mop falls to the floor. "Ay, Madison! Me espantaste!" You scared me

"Sorry, ma. I just wanted to tell you that––"

Her eyes narrow on the phone in my hand. Oh. Crap. I maneuver it, so it's out of her sight.

"Were you recording me?"

"No." I say a bit too quickly, hands now tucked away behind my back.

"You were." She says confidently.

"No, I wasn't." She takes a step and I tell her to be careful or else she'll slip.

"Madi––delete those pictures." She bends over to pick up the mop and that's when I choose to move. "Madi! I have to see if you deleted the pictures!" She yells in her Spanish accent but I'm already shutting the door behind me.

I run to my car, knowing she won't follow. With a giggle, I settle back in the driver's seat. It's once in a while we like messing with our mom. Not too often or else we'll earn a good scolding but I can't deny that was funny. I press play on the video, grinning as I replay what I lived a couple seconds ago. After I finish watching it, I set my phone down on the console beside me. Even though my mom is opposed to it, they're memories and I don't regret filming that. The sun shines through the window, glinting off my right wrist. My eyes latch onto the golden bracelet my boyfriend, Maxon Blake, gifted me for my birthday.

A smile tugs at my lips as I remember that day. It's been two months and I feel even more in love with him than before. He's been so caring and thoughtful even though he left for Boston a week ago. I was hesitant at first, hearing about all those failed long distance relationships but Maxon's called everyday. Multiple times a day. I forget he isn't here, that is, until I realize I can't feel him through the screen. He's talked to me about moving to Boston with him but I just can't leave California...can I? I mean, my whole life is here and my family...I can't leave them.

My thumb traces over the words 'MI AMOR' engraved onto the center of the braided bracelet.

I had asked him, why the flowers?

And he had said, because Rosales is my last name. It means roses.

I shake my head, so attentive, that guy.

I start the car, letting it warm up for a bit.

I can't deny though, that a part of me worries. What if he found someone else? Or secretly seeing another girl behind my back?

When it nags at me a bit too much I go to my sister, Trinity, who always rolls her eyes but reassures me that no, he's for a fact not seeing anyone else. Nor will he ever.

Vanessa has said so as well. Seeing as she speaks to Luke, he's told her that he doesn't even go out. The guys are all preparing for the pre-season games as well as the season and said they take that 'shit seriously' his words. So that means no women.

Not yet at least.

That uncertainty pricks at my stomach but I tamp it down. It's the devil. I whisper to myself. He's making me doubt. Don't. Doubt.