Chapter 49 - Maxon

"What do you mean you're not playing? You're going to fly out now? Maxon!" I barge through the door of the Head Coach's office and find Coach Lane sitting across from him. They both turn around immediately to face me, Luke on my heels. "But it's the Super Bowl! Blake!" This year we stayed home for the Super Bowl which is rare. The home team hosting the location but I don't give a shit. I need to get on the first flight to California to see my girl.

Ignoring what Luke says, I announce, "I won't be playing the game today." Our head coach, Rick, whips his head back in my direction. "What? What are you talking about Blake? We only have three hours to go. Carter? You both need to get your asses on the field for warm-ups."

"Sir–" Luke begins to say but I interrupt. "My girl needs me. It's urgent, sir." I resort to begging. "Please."

Coach Lane glances at Rick, it's his call.

He gives me a hard look as he eyes me but my eyes implore him. I need to get to Madison. She needs me more than ever right now. And what I did to her...fuck. I can't think about that right now. We have so much to talk about starting with my fuck-ups.

Coach finally sighs. "I can't, Blake. Believe me, I wish I could let you go but it's the Super Bowl. Millions are expecting to watch you play tonight." His gaze meets Luke's. "You too. You're our star players. I can't let you go, at least, not until after the game."

My stomach tightens to the point of pain. Madison needs me...I need her.

I've needed her ever since I was forced to leave her.

"Fuck." I run my hands through my short hair.
"Sorry, Blake. But the team needs you. Whatever it is that's going on...channel your frustrations on the field. Who knows? We may even win the game?"

I growl. "I mean no disrespect right now Coach, but I could give a shit less about the game."

He leans back in his chair and blows out a breath. "Channel it on the field, son. I wish I could do more for you but..."

I stomp out of the room and head toward my locker.

A hand clamps down on my shoulder and I turn around to punch whoever laid their hands on me. I'm not usually this violent but knowing I can't get to Madison...it fucking kills me.

Coach Lane raises both his hands in surrender. "Woah, calm down, Blake. It's just me."

I blow out a breath and sit down. "What do you want." I bite out.

He sits next to me. "You know Rick would rip your ass out for talking to him like that on a regular."

I glance down at the floor. "I know."

It's his turn to blow out a breath. "I understand your frustrations Maxon but forgive me if I don't believe you."

My head whips in his direction so fast. "What the fuck are you talking about, Lane."

"I saw you with that blonde. You were kissing her, Blake. You claim to want to go visit Madison yet you're over here making out with someone else." He says angrily and I bare my teeth. "Shut the fuck up. You don't know anything about how my life's been for the past month." I stand up and he walks with me as I head outside of the locker room. "I may not but I know you've been miserable. You've been acting shitty and aloof with everyone." A pause then. "Did Madison leave your ass because you cheated on her?"

I growl. "You better shut the fuck up before I beat your ass. Like I said, you don't know anything."

He clamps his mouth shut but his lips remain tight. "Alright. I won't talk. I just never saw you as that type." I ignore that jab. "It–we're all confused, Blake. I think it's best if you follow Coach's advice, channel it on the field." I stare at him. Remembering how he acted in front of her. He probably has a thing for her and I don't like that thought. At fuckin' all.

I grit my teeth. "It's not like I have any other choice."

He pats my shoulder with a heavy hand. "We're here, Blake. Despite your attitude. The team and I got your back."

My jaw ticks as he removes his hand. If only the weight I felt in my heart could be lifted as easily.

***

As the team and I follow Luke's lead. I can't help but think about my beautiful girl. The first moment Luke showed me a picture of her on Instagram with Vanessa. I felt a connection with her then. It was creepy but something drew me to her. Fast forward almost a year later, I see her in person and that feeling flared back to life.

Her sweet smile and beautiful face...

She was pregnant.

With our child.

And I...

I gulp and quickly stand, running for the football Luke throws at me. I try running for the end zone but am tackled before I can make it any further.

A mountain weight lays on me and soon someone is pulling me up from under the man. "You alright?" Isaiah eyes me quickly and I nod.

We get back in position and I play almost as if in a trance.

There are thousands at the stadium from all over the country and even more watching from their TVs back home.

Could my beautiful girl be watching me?

Or does she hate me that much more?

Would she even care if I go visit her?

Once I leave you'll be dead to me, Maxon Blake.

Those dreadful words replay back in my head as they have every night since I was forced to utter those words.

The look on her face...she looked at me as if what we had...never meant anything to her.

Tears silently roll down my eyes as we near the end of the fourth quarter. The adrenaline is high, people are cheering, we have 19 and the other team 18, but my mind isn't even in the game. It hasn't been in anything.

It's almost second nature what we're doing after all the practice we've done. I know I've been putting in double time.

I hear 'hike.'

And on instinct I run for the ball.

I'm far enough from the scrimmage that I catch it smoothly. I turn on my heel and once again attempt to run for the endzone. I have a clear shot and am thirty yards, twenty yards, away. Then ten and my heart is close to bursting out of my chest. Out of the corner of my eye I see the seconds winding down. If I make this, this is it. We win the game. I'm less than five yards away when out of nowhere, someone tackles me and I hear an audible gasp from the fans as I am thrown in a completely different direction. What feels like a ton falls atop me and soon, I'm finding it difficult to keep myself awake.

Everything hurts as I suddenly black out.

Hearing the fading shouts and screams of everyone around me.

***

I blink in and out of consciousness as Coach Lane and some of the medical team hovers over me.

"Blake, can you hear me?" Lane asks and I can barely manage to give him a nod.

"Hold on, you're on the way to the–"

I close my eyes.

"Madison..." I whisper and everyone stills around me.

"What?" Someone asks but I don't answer.

I sink back into that gentle darkness.

****

Well, this is it! Only one more chapter to go. I hope this chapter was long enough for most of you. :)

New and FINAL chapter should be out by the end of this week. Maybe sooner, knowing how I am.