Chapter 33 - Madison

Holy shit. Is the first thought that comes to mind. Natasha is absolutely stunning. From her gorgeous blonde hair to her full dark red lips to her toned legs. I feel like a fat marshmallow in comparison to her tall, curvy frame. It's clear she works hard for the body she has. It has an almost athleticism to it.

"Well?" Natasha arches a perfectly shaped brow. Her baby blues focused solely on Maxon. "Isn't that what you used to say about me?"

"Back off, Natasha." Luke steps forward, almost getting in her face.

Her gaze turns from a silent Maxon to Luke, skipping right over me as if I don't even exist.

"Well, will you look who it is? Luke Carter in the flesh. Haven't you filled up since the last time I saw you?" She throws him a condescending grin. "Of course, Maxon's always been bigger. So built and delicious."

"That's enough, Nat."

My brows draw together. Nat?

Maxon pulls me slightly behind him. Luke on my other side. I don't even care how it makes me look vulnerable. How can he still call her that? After everything he's gone through?

"Why? I'm not doing anything." She gives him an innocent look. "I only gave Luke a compliment."

"A compliment?" Luke mutters. "Bitch."

"Now that's not very nice, Luke. All I did was admire how fit you are. The NFL been treating you right?"

Luke growls but then Maxon says, "Why are you here, Natasha."

Not a question.

Instead of answering, her gaze zeroes in on me. Finally acknowledging my presence. *Hard eye roll*

"Who do we have here?" She asks. giving me the infamous girl once-over I've gotten plenty since being with Maxon. Though this time, I feel as if her very cool gaze is skinning me alive. I try my best not to shrivel up and hide, remaining with a strong posture. I extend my hand, like usual. It's a habit and despite her bitchiness, I need to be the bigger person to keep the peace I feel quickly crumbling between the three of us. "Hello, I'm Madison." I force out. "It's very nice to meet you."

She glances up from her perusal, taking in my outstretched hand and breaks out into a laugh.

"Oh my, aren't you adorable."

The smile I was trying to keep on my face falls. It's clear she's not here to cause peace but destruction.

"Maxon, honey." She looks at him, ignoring me once again. "Don't tell me you brought one of your teammate's teenage sisters to the gala. This is for adult's only honey."

My jaw drops at the insult, hand falling to my side.

How dare she—

"Back off, Nat. It's none of your business." Maxon's grip on my arm tightens. "Don't you have someone else to torment? Or did you come by yourself?"

She flashes him a devilish grin as if she were waiting for those exact words. "Of course I didn't come by myself silly. Have you seen me? Oh! That's right. You have. Plenty of—"

"Enjoy the rest of your evening, Natasha." Maxon says tightly before turning us away in the opposite direction. Luke trailing after us.

God, talk about an exciting start to the evening.

***

The rest of the night is filled with conversation from lawyers to doctors to athletes and even a few celebrities. Everyone wants a piece of Maxon but he never strays from me. I can tell by the tension marking his shoulders that seeing his ex unnerved him. Hell, Luke and I also are. But I mean, she was a huge part of his past. I can't imagine what he's feeling right now. She's the woman who practically destroyed his life and his heart.