Chapter 29 - Madison

The next day, Maxon and I have lunch with my family, Vanessa and Luke. We hang out and have a great time especially with the Carter siblings offering entertainment. They bicker and joke about everything and if people got an insight into them, I'm sure they would have a popular podcast. They can talk about anything. Literally anything.

Throughout our meal I find Liam a bit fidgety and once I have his attention I gesture to Maxon, knowing he's been meaning to ask him something.

He nods and asks him if he would be able to come to one of his games the week he has free. "Madi told me you guys don't play the week before Thanksgiving and I thought...maybe you would like to come to one of my games?"

I glance at Maxon and find him with a grin on his face. "I would love to."

He doesn't even think about it and I know it must come as a shock to Liam.

"You–really?"

Luke snorts.

"Of course. Why would I lie? You're like a little brother to me."

"And me." Luke adds. "Even though I'm not invited."

Liam's cheeks tinge a tad bit pink. "I–you can if you like. I just–"

Luke slaps his thigh as he barks out a laugh. "I'm just shitting you. Well, kind of."

Vanessa smacks him across the head. "Ow! What the fu–"

"Language, Luke! How many times do I have to remind you?" She gestures at my siblings who are not so little anymore. "There are children present."

Luke rolls his eyes. "Puh–lease. As if they don't curse when they're at school? I'm sure they act like angels and–"

My mom narrows her eyes from where she's sitting across from him.

"They are actually angels." He says in a quick, sweet voice.

"I no not lot of english. But understand what you saying, Luke."

He gives her a sheepish look. "Sorry, Mama Rose."

Although my mom's name is Maria, Luke now refers to her as Mama Rose and she doesn't mind at all.

"Idiot." Vanessa mutters and rolls her eyes before going back to her gyro.

Luke opens his mouth to retort and Maxon pats him on the shoulder. "Don't even say anything, brother. You're only digging yourself an early grave."

He turns back to my brother and I fall a bit more in love with him when he says, "We'll be there. You can count on that."

***

The next couple of weeks fly by and soon Maxon and I find ourselves on a plane back to California.

Since he has a game for Thanksgiving next week, he and I will be celebrating with my family this week and for a few days after with his mom. "Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me." I turn to face him as we park at my brother's school.

He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "Anything to see you happy. And you know your family is like my family." He leans in with a smirk. "Now, let's see your brother's playing skills. Hopefully I've taught him a thing or two."

I grin at him and kiss him softly on the lips before exiting the car. It's a Friday night and my brother's playing a home game. Maxon throws on his baseball cap and captures my hand in his as we walk to the remodeled stadium. Already, there are a bunch of people filling the stands. This reminds me of when I was in high school. I only ever attended one football game but it didn't particularly make an impact. Since my brother plays here now, well, it hits very differently.