Chapter 47 - Madison

Weeks go by and I feel okay. I'm not going back to school but I've been caring for baby Hailey for the time being. Leah is busy with some school projects and asked me to care for her again.

Mr. and Mrs. Reed were surprised to see me at first but it was quickly replaced by a welcoming hug. It'd been months since they last saw me but were ecstatic to know I was back here to stay. And baby Hailey...she's gotten so big.

Caring for her now, seeing her talking and reciting the alphabet and colors...I can't wait for my own baby to come into this world.

"What letter is this?" I ask Hailey who's holding a banana in one hand.

"Mmm, M!"

"That's right! M."

"Like Madson!" She cutely yells out, trying her best to say my name.

"That's right." I squeeze her cheek and she grins.

Putting the colorful flash card down, I pick another. "What about this one?"

I hold up a different one.

"H!" She pats her stomach.

"Me! Hailey!"

"That's right! You are so cute and so smart."

Later that night Mrs. Reed, thanks me. Her blonde hair now a bit longer since the last time I saw it. It now grazes her collarbone.

"Thank you so much, Madison. You don't know how much we've missed you. Though Leah is a wonderful help as well."

She hugs me. "You've grown so much too. Still dating that handsome football player? I even bought the issue he was in for GQ. You both looked stunning by the way. Let me go get it."

"Mrs. Reed." My tone stops her from going into the room and retrieving said magazine. "Maxon and I...we are not together anymore."

Her jaw drops. "I-honey. Oh my God. I'm so sorry. Don't listen to me–"

I wave her off. "It's fine but really–don't bring him up please."

She nods and I let her know I'm heading home.

"Madison–God, I'm so embarrassed."

"No–it wasn't your fault. I'm sure he'll announce it soon enough."

Though I'm not sure why he hasn't let it be known to the public that we aren't together. It's been three weeks.

Maybe it's because the team is doing so well. He may only want to focus on the game and making it to the Super Bowl which was his dream.

I let out a sigh and make it home. Despite everything, I hope his dream does come true. I wouldn't ever wish anything bad on him. What's the point? His life, his decisions.

I walk inside my house and surprisingly no one's there.

Mom's working and Leah, Liam and Trinity?

I text them. Wondering where they are.
They never let me know they had places to be tonight. As I wait for their reply, I head  to the kitchen and pour myself a glass of apple juice. I've been craving it recently and I'm not blaming it on the baby. This is all me.

I walk back to the living room and check my phone. They answered.

Trinity: Working last minute shift. Be home later.

Leah: Liam and I came to get pizza. Should be home soon.

I let them all know I've seen it with a thumbs up and decide to lay down.