Chapter 37 - Madison

A couple of days pass without anything out of the ordinary happening. I apologized to Fluffy–and yes, I still call him that despite the guys naming him Race–I finished the semester and besides a couple of stomach aches and some nausea, I feel good. Things are good between Maxon and I. We haven't heard or seen Natasha since and that's a huge relief for both of us. I don't ever want to see her again if all she's going to do is cause issues in my relationship. I trust Maxon. I trust him when he said it wasn't his intention but her. I don't even want to think about her because the mind is very powerful and who knows—

The bell to the café rings, signaling a new customer and I turn to him or her with a grin. It immediately falls. Too soon. This is too fucking soon. You wouldn't believe me when I say Natasha walked right through the door. It's so fucking cliché the way she enters. With her ginormous bag that could fit a mini dog in there and sunglasses that take up most of her face. She removes them, taking the place in. She's clearly making a show of critiquing my workspace. Scowling at our customers as if they and this place is below her. The gunk at the bottom of her Prada shoes. She turns her scowl on me.

Once again, I greet her with a friendly grin. Only because I have to this time. Laila is in the back helping her Mama and I was out here stocking new treats. Just my fucking luck. "Hi! Welcome to Mae's Cuties and Café! How can I help you?" I force out.

"Oh! You think I came for a drink here?" She chuckles. "Think again, sweetheart. I don't drink coffee. How do you think I keep this figure?" She gestures down at herself, catching the attention of a few of the young men lounging around. She clearly would never look at them. No money, no honey.

She leans across the counter—a few of the bodyguards tensing—and whispers. "Just the way Maxon likes it."

She looks my body up and down. Scrutinizing it. I cross my arms across my chest, uncomfortable with her perusal.

Her lip curls up in a sneer. "Although I don't know what he saw in you. You're clearly—"

That's it. I'm not going to let her come here and insult me at my job, which is completely respectable. At least I'm not with Maxon for his money. "I'm not going to let you come here to insult me. What do you want, Natasha?"

She ignores what I ask, as usual.

"I never introduced myself to you so I see," she leans up, running a finger down the counter. "He's told you about me. Can't forget me that easily can he?" She chuckles lowly to herself. "Of course he can't. I was his first love. He was so smitten with me he couldn't see straight." She lets out a dreamy sigh. "Good times."

"Why are you here, Natasha?" I ask again.

I'm trying to be polite here but this girl makes it near impossible.

"Just wanted to see where you work."
"Bullshit."

"That's not very nice Madison." She gives me a sharp grin. "But you're right. That's not why I'm here. Part of it, but not why." Her eyes sharpen into daggers. "I see you're still with Maxon."

"Yes. I am."

A customer comes up behind her. I quickly glance behind me and don't see Laila anywhere. I'm about to take his order when she shows up. Thank. God. "I'll handle it." She quickly says taking in Natasha with a frown.

Throwing her a grateful glance I move around the counter to stand in front of Natasha who is much taller than me.

One of the guards grabs my attention and I give him a nod, letting him know things are okay.

"I see he's put protection on you."

I don't say anything as her gaze drags from the bodyguards to mine. "You won't be with him for long."