Chapter 42 - Madison

It's confirmed. I'm going to be a mom. Holy shit. I still can't believe it. I run a hand down my still flat stomach. Smiling. I can't wait until Maxon gets home to tell him the news. I know he will be super excited. This is all he's ever wanted.

"Madi! What are we in the mood for? Ice cream? Chocolate? Pickles?"

I chuckle as Vanessa skims through the fridge. "We really need to do some shopping. Everything's extremely healthy in here."

"Well, considering I'm dating a football player..."

"You mean your baby daddy." Vanessa gives me a wink over her shoulder and I blush. "Please don't call him that."
"Well he is. Or is he?"

I glare at her and she laughs. "Joking! Why would you want anyone else when you have the best guy between your legs?"

My jaw drops. "Vanessa! Don't say that!"

"What?" She slams the door to the fridge shut and places strawberries on the counter. "Isn't that how you got pregnant?"

My cheeks turn crimson as she hands me a bowl. I thank her. "So how far along are you again? Nine weeks?"

I nod. "I still can't believe it. That long and I thought it was because of my stress."

I think a part of me knew, I just wasn't ready to face reality. Going bare with Maxon, I knew this was a huge possibility. Sometimes I wonder if a part of me wanted this? We haven't been dating very long but I can't see my life without him. He is it for me.

Vanessa grins. "You're mom's going to be over the moon when you give her the news. Knowing her she'll say I told you so." She chuckles. "Her dreams don't lie. Prophetic."
"Well, we still have to wait and see if she'll be a girl." Because that's what she said she saw me with in her dream. I wonder if that will come true as well?

"I'm calling it! Girl!" She throws her hand in the air. "Girls all the way. Boys out!"

"What if it is a boy though?"

She shrugs and her grin softens. "At least he'll be cute. Imagine? He'll be handsome when he's older. Ladies' man."

"Oh God. I hope not."

"Well, Maxon did have his moments...and you know it."

I take a bite of strawberry. "Please V, I really don't need a reminder of that."

"What of Natasha?" She asks after a few minutes of eating in silence. "Heard anything?"

I shake my head. "And I hope I don't. She's already planted her little wicked seeds in my head. I don't need to water them anymore."

"I can't believe she's still the same bitch I came to know years ago." She picks up our bowls and places them in the sink. "I really thought it was all a fake but turns out she was hiding her bitchy mask the entire time." She comes to sit beside me at the island and holds my hand in one of hers. "Maxon will never take her back though. He loves you and especially..." She places her hand on my belly. "You guys have a little one on the way. He would never leave you. The bitch lost and she doesn't even know it."

Vanessa meets my gaze. "There is no way nothing will separate you now. Nothing she does will succeed."

I smile at her. "You're a good friend, V. I really wish you were here though."

"Bitch, I'm here now." She hugs me and I laugh softly.
"I meant when Natasha was around. I really needed someone to talk to."

"Say the word and I'll stay here for two more weeks."

I grin. "Will do."

***

"What are you doing, Mi Amor?" Maxon's deep voice comes through the speaker as I towel dry my hair later that night. "Just got out of the shower. And you? I saw the game. Congrats on the win!"

"Thanks." Is all he says and I frown. No teasing. No going on about how excited he is about making it to the Super Bowl. Nothing.

He just sounds...tired.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, concern lacing my tone.

"Yeah, just got back."

I look at the time. It's kind of late.

"Oh, did you and the guys go out?"

"Yeah... I didn't want to but you know the guys, they kinda dragged me there." He huffs out a laugh and I frown. "Well, in that case, I'll let you rest. Goodnight."

"No...I want to hear your voice."

A soft smile takes over my face. "Maxon, you should rest. Don't worry about me. We're good." I recall the news. "Better than good actually. We're great."

He's silent for a few seconds before his rough voice comes back. "That's great."

He doesn't sound excited. "Maxon?"

"Yeah, I–I'll see you tomorrow."

The scowl remains on my face. "Okay, then. Good night. I love you."

"I love you too. More than you know."

Uneasiness takes over my stomach.

What happened?

As I get back into bed I go over everything we've been through. Maybe my leaving made him mad but he's trying to hide it? I don't think that's it.

Maybe he thinks I'm mad at him?

But how can he think that? I've made it clear I look forward to seeing him for the first time in a week.

I sigh. All this thinking and stressing isn't good for our baby.

I settle into bed.

We'll talk and things will be settled.

I'm sure of it.