Chapter 38 - Madison

I head back to the house once the temperatures decrease even more. It's freezing outside. My California self isn't used to this type of weather yet.

By the time I open the door I feel like a damn popsicle. All I want to do is take a warm bath, dress in sweats and a hoodie, cuddle up with Fluffy and read a good book.

I walk into the kitchen and come to a halt. Maxon is sitting at the island with a bag in front of him, worry etched on his features. He meets my gaze and I feel my stomach drop.

I wasn't expecting him this early.

"Hey," I greet meekly and he gets up, striding up to me and pulling me in for a hug. His fresh scent and body heat surround me and I can't help but melt into him.

"Where have you been? Laila let me know you weren't feeling well and that you came home. I texted you and you didn't answer. I was worried. I-I thought—"

I pull out of his embrace. "I'm fine, Maxon. Just needed to clear my head a bit."

I walk up to the sink to wash my hands. I turn around and find him eyeing me carefully.

"What?" I feel my cheeks warming up at his piercing stare.

"What happened?"

"I don't know what you mean."

I walk past him but Maxon grips my arm, stopping me. "Laila mentioned someone went to speak to you. Who was it?"

My heart picks up its pace. I don't want to think or talk about this. "Madison?"

"It was no one. I'm fine."

I try to pull away from him but he doesn't let me. "Mi Amor, talk to me." He whispers softly and I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

He pulls me in and wraps his big arms around me. Tears begin streaming down my eyes.

"I-I was just doing some thinking." I stare out the chilled windows. "I think it's best if we spend Christmas apart."

He rears back so fast you would think I slapped him. "What?" He breathes out.

When I don't answer he asks, "Mi Amor, where is this coming from? I thought things were good between us."

I meet his gaze and decide it's now or never. Taking a deep breath I say, "I thought so too. But apparently, you weren't completely honest with me."

He immediately stiffens and I know something is up. Could it actually it be—

I spent hours thinking. Eventually coming to the realization that what she said wasn't true but his reaction? That same nausea builds up.

"Maxon?"

He turns around and closes his eyes. "Fuck." He breathes out and I am even more confused. "Luke was right. I should've told you."

My brows scrunch up. "Told me what?"

My heart starts racing as he connects the pieces together. "I take it it was Natasha who went to visit you?"

I nod, fear rising within me.

"Whatever it is she told you, Madison. I need you to get it right out of your head."

"So what she said was not true?"

"What exactly did she tell you." Not a question.

"That the reason you took her outside is because she–she was planning on getting intimate in public."

His jaw hardens and he avoids looking at me. "Maxon?"

In a rough voice he answers. "Unfortunately, that is true."