Chapter 31 - Madison

"Hey, Mad. Need any help with that?" Laila sidles up to me as I prepare to pour coffee beans into the machine. Gesturing to it I say,
"Go right ahead."

As I busy myself doing something else, I can't help the smile plastered onto my face. After spending Thanksgiving with my family and Maxon, I realize just how truly blessed we have been this past year. This life–I never would've imagined but I'm not complaining. Everyone I love is happy and healthy and those are the biggest blessings of all. So far things are going great in my life and I am thankful to God. Being patient has paid off.

"I'm happy you're back to work with us and that things have settled down a bit." Laila tells me with a flash of teeth. "We've missed you. Especially Mama Mae."

I grin back at her. "I've missed all of you." I glance around the place. "I'm also happy to hear that your brother discovered a passion for running a business. Huge progress right there."

Laila's brother, Alijah, who's a year older than me, used to sit at home doing nothing but play video games. That is until Mama Mae forced his ass to work. Turns out, he's going back to college to get his business degree after helping manage things here at the coffee shop.

"Right! That's what I said. Mama and I couldn't be happier for him." We work around each other, fixing and making sure everything's working and up-to-date when I find Laila biting down on her lip.

"What?" I glance over at her, my brows scrunched up in wonder.

"I–well, it's still hard to believe your boyfriend is Maxon Blake." I roll my eyes but grin. "What? It's just–has anyone ever told you he's hot?"
I walk past her, writing down some things that are needed into a notebook. "You wouldn't believe the times I'm told that. But I don't mind." I wink at her. "I know he is."

"And he's yours too." Laila adds and I shake my head changing the conversation to her.

"How are things with you and Chris?"

Her cheeks flush and she tells me that nothing's going on with them. "Are you sure? He's always staring at you."

Her face reddens even more. "I-really?"

"Why would I lie?"

"I-you're right. We may have kissed a couple of times the weeks you were gone but," she shrugs clearly feigning disinterest. "Nothing more."

A new customer walks through the door and we quickly compose ourselves.  We don't want to be caught being unprofessional especially with Mama Mae. "I'll take this one." Laila quickly says and I am beyond grateful. I may work a bit more here but don't really interact with the customers. I help in the kitchen and stock items but that's about it. Mostly because people can be annoying once they recognize me. For some reason, they beg me to introduce them to Maxon and that is the reason why I told him to never visit me at work. It would draw more unnecessary attention and although he doesn't agree, he respects my decision. That is, with the exception of the casually dressed bodyguards that follow me everywhere.

My phone rings and I see a message from said person.

Maxon: I have a surprise for you

My heart starts racing as I type,

Me: What is it?

Maxon: That's the point. A surprise. I know you'll love this one.

I grin as I write back.
Me: What's a surprise of yours I haven't loved?

Maxon: True. See you later, Mi Amor. Stay safe.

I reply back and for the hundredth time I wonder how I got so lucky.