Chapter 46 - Maxon

"Hey, everything okay, man?"

Luke asks me from across the table where we're having our lunch. We've been practicing extra hard these past few weeks since we are heading to the AFC championship soon. It feels nice to sit and relax with a good lunch—or so I thought. I've been trying to hide my pain for the past weeks but Luke is making it difficult. I have to keep up my asshole charade.

"Yup." I answer not wanting to get in on this conversation yet again.

He frowns deeply as he glares at me. "Dude. You never say 'yup.'"

I shrug and I know that will break him in. He loses his patience. "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" He demands and Isaiah hesitates as he takes a seat beside me. "You've been acting fucking weird for days. It reminds me of when you were dating Natasha and I fucking hate it." He pulls out his phone. "I'm calling Madison. She'll know what's up with you."

I stiffen for a brief second before my hands tighten on my fork as I feel a chill run down my veins. "Don't."

Unfazed, he dials and puts it on speaker. My heart pounds heavily inside my chest as it continues ringing. No one picks up and it doesn't surprise me. No one knows we broke up. Maybe Vanessa since she's Madison's best friend and her family but other than that, I don't think she's told anyone else. I know I haven't.

"What!" Vanessa's voice comes through instead of hers and my brows raise slightly in surprise. She hates me well enough she won't even risk answering Luke. My stomach tightens. "Where's Madi? Maxon's acting like an ass."

My jaw is clenched so hard I feel like I might pop something.

I need to get out of here. I can't sit around and risk hearing her voice. That will break me once again and I can't, I just can't hear her sweet voice. I won't be able to come back from what I did.

"Blake! Get your ass over here!" Luke shouts after me but I ignore him.

I walk. One foot in front of the other.

This was for the best.

It was for her own good.

For her safety.

I remind myself and despite how miserable I feel, I know I did the right thing.

****
Here you have it...I hope you can see what Maxon's trying to say...

Next chapter should be out this weekend! Hopefully! 😊