Chapter 13 - Madison

After that concerning end to that conversation, Sofia suggested to teach me how to make Maxon's favorite lasagna. Since he's been working out in his makeshift gym for the past hour and a half–getting some time in before the big game later this week–I decided why not?

"I prefer to make the lasagna strips from scratch. You don't know all those preservatives and junk they put into the ones in store."

I nod, paying close attention to how she's making everything. "I know he's in football mode now but I know that when it's over he'll be beg—"

The doorbell rings, resonating loudly around the house Mrs. Blake let me know her husband helped build and design.

She sets down a towel after washing her hands. "That must be Melissa with her boys." She tells me and I nod, following after her. "Maxon, sweetie!" She yells as she walks over to the door. "They're here!"

When she doesn't see him coming she calls out again, "Maxon!"

"I'm coming, Ma."

A shirtless Maxon emerges from somewhere in the house and my mouth dries up as I take him in. His muscles are bulging, more than usual and a trickle of sweat slides down his chest to his rock hard abs. I'm not sure how long I ogle him for but a throat clearing snaps me out of it. I glance up and find Maxon with a smirk, "See something you like?" He teases and I frown, turning towards Mrs. Blake who is watching our exchange with amusement.

"I'm about to open the door. Behave yourselves. There are children present."

"They're a bit early anyway but I guess that's fine." Maxon sidles up next to me, draping a sweaty arm over my shoulder.

"Eww, Maxon." I try to push him off me. "Get away from me. You smell like sweat."

"Really? I don't smell anything." He sniffs under his arm and I smack him in the chest playfully.

"Idiot."  He only hugs me tighter to him, whispering huskily, "Why don't you help me shower?"

My body heats up from head to toe at doing just that. I don't have time to answer because Mrs. Blake whips the door open. "Melissa! So nice to—oh, hi Savannah, so nice to see you! Your mother mentioned you were back in town for the weekend."

Maxon tenses beside me at the mention of her name. "Hi Mrs. Blake! Yes, I'm great! Apparently Maxon and I had the same idea to visit. Isn't that weird?"

"Oh, uh," Mrs. Blake briefly glances back at us, clearly not expecting this girl, Savannah. "Yes that is."

I can't see her face from where I'm standing but I see her hand pat both boys on their shoulders. "My Mama had to run some errands so I decided to bring them."

The boys, Matthew and Ty, grin widely at Mrs. Blake. 

"Oh, alright." She hesitates for a second, "Come on in."

Mrs. Blake opens the door a little wider, revealing a woman around my height. Damn, she's gorgeous in a simple way. Her long black hair is pulled up in a high ponytail and her face is fresh of makeup. She appears to be in her late twenties but is beautiful nonetheless. If I didn't know better I would have thought both boys were her children.

"Maxon! I see you got a head start!" She has her hands outstretched, ready for a hug when she catches sight of me. Suddenly, she comes to a halt. I have a feeling she wasn't expecting me. My stomach drops.

"Maxon...who is this?" Those bright blue eyes take me in, slowly moving down my figure then back up to the arm Maxon has draped over me. I try not to shift from discomfort.