Vol. 1: Chapter 1.1 - A White Room Student

Warning: This Fan Fiction Novel of Youzitsu may contain spoilers from the Light Novel. If you're an LN reader, you can think of this as a standalone alternate timeline with canon characters and elements. If you're anime-only, read at your own risk.

I was thinking of how I should go about establishing myself as a fresh high school student. As ideas come into my mind, the bobbling and shaking bus occasionally interrupts my train of thought.

I got slightly nervous about how the passengers of the bus became increasingly crowded with students wearing the same uniform as I am. Before I could go back into fantasizing about how I should introduce myself in class...

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat?"

A young, well-built blond man, that goes to the same high school as I am, was sitting down on one of the priority seats. A woman dressed like an office lady was the source of that voice. Beside her was an elderly woman who had been standing for a while now.

"That's a really crazy question, lady. Why should I offer up my seat? There's no reason for me to do so." His eyes remained closed and his smile, unwavering.

"You're sitting in a priority seat. It's natural to offer those up to the elderly," she replied.

"I'm a healthy young person who certainly wouldn't find standing inconvenient. However, I'd obviously expend more energy by doing so than I would be by sitting. I have no intention of doing such a pointless thing. Or are you suggesting that I should act livelier, I wonder?" Looking at the office lady with a single eye, the man rebutted.

"Is that supposed to be the attitude to take while talking with your superiors?" reproached the lady.

While the two of them engaged in something that I would call a pointless argument, I kept to myself for a brief second. I carefully thought about what I wanted to do after enrolling in this school. From Matsuo's kind intentions, it was clear that he wanted me to live a normal high school life. After all, "that man" took my entire childhood away from me.

At first, the obvious answer was to live in obscurity where I'm free from trouble. I dislike trouble anyway, so it was a natural first choice.

However, this school seems like it's way more than it is at first glance. Therefore, I changed my mind. Matsuo granted me a chance to take part in this so-called "high school life". I'll at least test the abilities I got from the White Room and see how far I can go-- of course, with the intention of trying to enjoy myself to the fullest.

With that in mind, I ground through the things that the White Room lacked and studied them to the fullest-- and that is Social Interaction. Even as the sole survivor of the 4th generation, I'm still far behind on the knowledge about interpersonal relationships given the nature of the White Room. Therefore, I tried my best to cram as much information as I can as soon as I decided on my so-called goal.