Vol. 1: Chapter 4.4 - Abilities

"Obsessed?" Horikita became slightly confused.

"Chabashira-sensei told us about the special exams, which wasn't supposed to be mentioned when we paid for her information. Her current attitude towards the class isn't easy to read due to her frequent mockings, but her indifference is completely gone. And lastly, Chabashira-sensei is being awfully cooperative with us. Too cooperative, even," I said. "I suppose the decisive piece of evidence I need will be from Chairman Sakayanagi's mouth, but I don't have it right now. I'm only around 75% sure about this."

"You think you've figured everything out, Ayanokouji?" Chabashira-sensei asked with a smirk.

"I'm not that conceited, Sensei. If I said anything wrong, then again, please correct me," I asked, closing my eyes.

Horikita was looking back and forth between Sensei and me at a slow pace.

"What do you think, Horikita? Do you believe in everything that Ayanokouji has said thus far?" Chabashira-sensei turned her attention to Horikita.

"I honestly can't tell. Ayanokouji-kun's arguments are shaky at best. As he said, there is no decisive evidence. However, you, yourself, are suspicious, Sensei," replied Horikita.

"Oh, please. You don't have to try so hard in acting skeptical. It's fine to act impressed when it comes to Ayanokouji. After all, he's completely right. I want Class A. I want you guys to become Class A," admitted Chabashira-sensei.

"Do you understand, Horikita? I don't know how long Chabashira-sensei has been teaching in this school, but it's clear that the past Class Ds she's handled before were all subpar. This year is different, however. There may be a lot of defectives, but we still have wildcards like you, Hirata, Sudou, and Kushida. There are also unknowns like Kouenji. In short, we have a chance to rise on the ranks," I explained.

"I can understand that students who graduate in Class A will have bright futures, but what's in it for the teachers? Are there special rewards?" asked Horikita.

"You're exactly right, Horikita. Teachers are also evaluated by the performance of their Class during graduation. And of course, the better classes' homeroom advisers will be rewarded accordingly--" I interrupted her.

"That doesn't matter. I don't think Chabashira-sensei cares about those rewards in the least. I'm guessing that it's all for a personal reason," I said.

"You've been saying; "You think-", "You're guessing-", and things like that from the start. Ayanokouji-kun, you're simply speculating things--" 

Now it's Horikita who was interrupted by Sensei.

"Horikita, his speculations were all on point, weren't they? This is one's not an exception. I do have my own personal obsession and reason for reaching Class A, but that's not for you kids to know about. Just remember that I'm on your side as long as Ayanokouji works his way there." Chabashira-sensei shrugged her shoulders.

I thought so... "Sigh... Well, that's all for my business with you, Sensei. Horikita, it's your turn." I turned to Horikita for the first time.

"Oh, I thought Horikita was just your spectator," teased Chabashira-sensei.

"Sensei, I'm not satisfied with my placement in Class D. I'm sure I did well on the entrance exam, and I don't remember making any mistakes on the interview. So, why? I would like to know the reason for it," asked Horikita with a serious expression on her face.

"I was prepared to be asked that question for a while now, so I have my answers ready. Telling students about their entrance exam results isn't normally allowed, but I can make an exception for you, Horikita. To be honest, I'm impressed. You had the third-highest overall result for your entire year. It's the same with Yukimura, who also scored amazingly. Both of you did perfectly well on your interviews, too." Chabashira-sensei clapped softly.