Vol. 3: Chapter 7.1 - Resolve to Protect

Deep into the forest, Makida and I guided the other four towards Class C's campsite. While I know the general direction of their place based on Kanzaki's instructions, Makida apparently found the path leading there.

"It's just around here," he said.

"By the way, Ayanokouji-kun. We found some fruits while running around the forest, but you told us to keep our bags as vacant as possible. Is there any reason for that?" asked Onodera.

"Ah, that..."

"Will the peeps from Class C give us some stuff or something?" added Okitani.

"Hmm... Maybe you guys will understand when we get to it. But for now, I can tell you that we're not getting physical things from Class C. Just information," I explained as they nodded in response.

After passing through the large tree stumps, we finally reached the pathway that Makida was talking about. I noticed that those broken trees were intentionally cut that way-- most likely for landmarking purposes. It really gives you the feeling that a spot is nearby.

Regardless, tracks of people could be noticed along the soil. If we walk a little farther, Class C's campsite should be waiting for us.

"It's a shame that I didn't get to talk to Ryuuen-kun myself. But, to be honest, I'd rather familiarize the forest than stay there just to get intimidated by the pressure," said Matsushita, who was walking side by side with me.

"Well, Ryuuen is pretty intimidating, but you should probably get used to it. Most of the tutors should be as composed and cool-headed as Horikita. After all, our academic achievers and class spokespersons are Ryuuen's main targets," I replied.

"Really? Talk about scary... Well, it didn't really matter. I kinda got what sort of person Ryuuen-kun was just by hearing his brief exchange with Horikita-san." Matsushita shrugged with a smile.

"Ehhh, nothing less from the one who's been relentlessly waging psychological warfare against me." I looked at her with a smirk.

After hearing my response, Matsushita froze in place. I continued walking as if nothing happened. I basically said that I was always aware of the mind games, straight to her face. She must've been really alarmed internally, and I found that reaction of hers to be quite amusing.

I could barely hear Onodera ask her "What's the problem?" as she replied with a simple "Nothing, it's alright." before laughing wryly.

As I tread further, it didn't even take half a minute before we finally reached Class C's base camp.

"Woah..."

"Class C is amazing."

"Their base looks really nice!"

"Look at those hammocks."

"It seems like they've even exceeded our expectations," said Horikita.

"Yeah, I guess this is what you'd expect from the original Class B," I replied.

It's a really well-made campsite that prioritizes efficiency and practicality.

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun, Horikita-san, you're here!" As expected, Ichinose was there to receive us. Seeing her approach us with a bright and beautiful smile, we, of Class B, instantly felt welcome.

"Hi there, I'm Ichinose Honami. Nice to meet you." Ichinose introduced herself to my classmates without hesitation.

While Matsushita and Onodera were excited to finally meet her, Makida and Okitani got inevitably flustered. Getting to speak with the Ichinose Honami of Class C must've felt incredible for them. After all, one might argue that she's the most popular first-year student alongside Kikyou.