Vol. 1: Chapter 6.1 - Optimal

"Ayanokouji-kun, Sudou-kun! Wanna have lunch with us?" Karuizawa Kei calls out to us from the front.

I turned to Sudou with a meaningful look. After he nodded, I just shrugged my shoulders in response.

At the cafeteria were eight people sitting at a long table including me. Hirata, Sudou, Karuizawa, Shinohara, Sonoda, Ichihashi, and Maezono. Five girls and three guys. I don't really know what to feel about this, but it's a new group for Sudou. It's the last group he needs to mingle with before he gets a stable position in the class.

After we ordered our food, the eight of us started eating normally. Of course, Karuizawa and her gang started chatting with us.

"Isn't it amazing? Like, we have our class's soccer hottie, basketball ace, and genius on one dining table!" Karuizawa started. 

She's impressive. Like I instructed, she elevated Sudou without singling him out. Sudou became slightly flustered while Hirata just answered with a smile. Also, "genius"? We haven't even had our first test yet.

"It's pretty fun, too. All of them have, like, completely different personalities from each other. You wouldn't think that any of them are friends," added Maezono.

"Well, Sudou-kun and I haven't really talked much, but as someone who also likes sports, it'd be nice if we can become friends. What do you say, Sudou-kun?" Hirata instantly took that opportunity.

"Well... Since you're Ayanokouji's friend, then I guess I don't mind being your friend, too. We're all in the same class, after all," replied Sudou.

This is perfect. Under normal circumstances, Sudou would've just lashed out at Hirata. However, the atmosphere is too nice and gentle that even he got influenced by it. Of course, it wouldn't have been enough if it weren't for the past three days of non-aggression.

"I'm really surprised about you, Sudou-kun. During the first day, there were a lot of rumors about you picking fights at Keyaki Mall. The girls in our class were quite scared of you. But as it turns out, you're not that hot-headed at all," said Ichihashi.

"Oh... Well, those rumors are true. I would've been in a lot of trouble if Ike and the others didn't stop me." Sudou explained with a guilty smile.

"Ohh, that's interesting. But in my opinion, you'd be a lot cooler if you play things out with a stoic expression... For example; like how Ayanokouji-kun does it." Sonoda turned to look at me.

"Exactly! He's usually really quiet, but he speaks so well when it matters. I'll never forget what happened on the first day of school. He looked so cool." Ichihashi followed, giving me a weird look.

"I see..." Sudou whispered while staring at me with a curious gaze.

"Hey, hey! Hirata-kun is getting left out! He's the hottest out of the three of them, you know?!" Karuizawa protested. 

She saved me there... I didn't even know what to say.

"Well, that's a matter of course. I've been hearing a lot of girls in Class C and B talk about Hirata-kun right from the first day," said Shinohara.

"You give me too much credit," Hirata said before continuing to eat.

"Nah, you're just too humble, Hirata," I commented.

"Right?! Hirata-kun's overwhelming with humility." Karuizawa added.

Minutes passed and we finally finished eating. The eight of us got to know a bunch of things about each other in quite the roundabout manner. I wonder if that's how it usually goes for conversations between high school friends.

So far, none of them are really fit for anything apart from Karuizawa. I guess I can leave those four girls alone, for now. I'll be counting on Karuizawa to handle them when the time comes.

I received a text the moment we arrived in the classroom. It's from Kushida.

(12:42) [It seems like you're here now, Ayanokouji-kun.]
(12:42) [Horikita-san just finished eating her lunch, too.]
(12:42) [I'll ask her now so please look after me.]

(12:42) [Good luck, Kushida.]

I gave her a thumbs-up when she looked at me. She replied with her own thumbs-up, which looked very cute because of her determined expression. Well, if it's her, I'm sure she can do it. The result is already set in stone, anyway. As I thought about it, Kushida walked up towards Horikita's seat and got her attention.

"Is there anything you need, Kushida-san?" Horikita asked with a slight glare. 

Kushida was surprised by this. She expected Horikita to turn her away immediately, and in a harsher manner too.

"Uhm, Horikita-san. I know you refused me yesterday already, but I really want us to be friends! For starters, is it alright if I get your contact info? I-It's fine if you refuse, really. I'm not forcing you," said Kushida.

Since it's almost time for the next period, most of us are already inside the classroom. The only ones who're really paying attention were Kushida's friends and me. If everyone was looking at them, Horikita would've felt much more uncomfortable. Kushida picked a really good time.

"I didn't expect you to do it today, but I figured that you'll ask me about this once again. I wrote everything on this piece of paper. If you really insist, then I don't mind giving you my contact info. However, I would appreciate it if you don't invite me as often to any get-togethers." Horikita replied with a sigh. "I wouldn't strictly call us friends, Kushida-san. However, you're free to call me that if you want."

Kushida was visibly perplexed by what she just heard. But, she was clearly happy with the result. I was also impressed with Horikita's willingness to cooperate.

"T-Thank you, Horikita-san! I didn't expect you to have such a considerate and gentle side." said Kushida. Well, I wouldn't say "gentle".

"If that's all, then it was nice talking to you, Kushida-san," Horikita said, trying her best to not sound arrogant.

(12:45) [Good job, Horikita.]

I texted her.

(12:45) [I felt disgusted from start to finish.]

She replied without looking at me. Well, I guess it's only natural when you know the conversation is nothing but a farce. And it must've felt extra-unsettling for her since she firmly believes that Kushida was just acting.

When the bell rang, our afternoon periods went on without a hitch. As expected, our class is behaving optimally. There are a few problems like the flippant attitudes of Ike and his friends or the too-reserved Sakura, but other than them, I believe I've shaped up the class pretty well after four days.

Well, I guess I have some time for a breather. It wouldn't hurt to hang out with some friends after school.

I need to remember that right now, I have the privilege to enjoy my peaceful high school life, away from that place, and away from that man.