Vol. 3: Chapter 8.1.3 - Confession

3rd Day, 6:30 AM.

Almost everyone from Class B has woken up. I was currently doing some chores; cleaning the remains of our fire pit and such. Voices of girls could be heard from a considerable distance behind me. I can barely make out what they were saying.

"You can do it, Kokoro-chan!"

"We're here for you!"

"We'll be cheering you on!"

Kikyou, Ishikura, Nishimura, and the other girls, huh?

Oh-- Is this what I think it will be...?

I was too scared to even look. A few seconds passed before I started hearing light footsteps.

"U-Uhm, Ayanokouji-kun-" Unsurprisingly, it was Inogashira's voice.

Of course, I turned around to face her.

"Good morning, Inogashira. Can I help you?" I tried to be as polite as I can, emulating what Hirata might say.

"Good morning... Um, is it alright if I take your time for a little bit...? There's... something that I've been meaning to tell you for a long time now..."

I see...

"Sure. I'm done with my work here, anyway."

"I-Is it alright if we talk in private? It's pretty embarrassing, so I want to get away from the camp before I tell you..." Inogashira bowed her head apologetically.

"It's all good, as long as we don't walk too far and make the others worry."

"Okay," she nodded.

I led her towards a part of the forest where it was far enough to avoid eavesdropping but close enough to go back easily.

"Is this place alright with you?" I asked.

"Yes, thank you very much."

"Well then, I'm all ears."

Inogashira's face went red as soon as I passed the mic. The pressure finally caught up to her.

"Um, uhh... You see, Ayanokouji-kun..." she muttered, looking downwards.

Inogashira was really struggling with her words, but she psyched herself up and mustered enough courage to face me straight.

"A-Ayanokouji-kun, I..." Inogashira closed her eyes before continuing. "I like you. Please go out with me."

At least, I wasn't being overly conscious this time. I was ready to bury myself alive.

Her words echoed across these parts of the woods and Inogashira slowly started realizing what she had just said.

"Thank you, Inogashira," I replied.

"Uh- Uhm, that was..."

Inogashira was extremely gentle regardless of the situation. She wasn't like Airi who panics whenever she's high-strung. Even in this kind of situation, Inogashira's expression was timid, but it was almost as if she wasn't feeling tense. If Airi was in the same situation, her lips would probably tremble nonstop.

"Sorry if I'm not giving any sort of reaction. No one has ever confessed to me before so I don't really know what to feel or say."

"No... It's okay, Ayanokouji-kun..."

This will be hard, but I need to respond.

"I'm really grateful for your feelings, Inogashira, but... I don't think I can be that person for you."

Anyone could instantly know what a person is feeling just by looking at their facial expressions. However, it's an entirely different thing whether you can sympathize with what they feel. Right now, all I know is that Inogashira is hurt... by my words.