Vol. 4: Chapter 7.1 - Early Morning

"Geez, why did you call me here, Katsuragi? It's so damn early."

"I'm just trying to make sure things won't go haywire, Ryuuen."

The time was 6:00 in the morning. Two students met up in an inconspicuous place, somewhere around the stern. Following the events of the first day, every student on the ship felt wary, albeit of varying degrees. Katsuragi Kouhei wasn't an exception.

"So? What do you want?" asked Ryuuen.

"Cooperation," answered Katsuragi.

"Keh, are you a masochist or something? Or perhaps you have a plan?"

"You're trying to figure out the VIPs' names, correct?"

"That's right. What of it?"

Ryuuen's smile grew sinister. He seemed to know where this is going.

"Let's make a contract again. If you happen to find the pattern, you will give me their names. I'm not asking for every VIP, but I'll exchange the 500,000 private points that we'll get for every name." Katsuragi explained his proposition.

Detailed contracts are viable when the negotiation is mainly focused on private points. Since Katsuragi's plan doesn't do anything to guarantee the manipulation of results, the contract will be deemed valid.

"Hoh? Now isn't that interesting? Well, some sort of pattern definitely exists, but I'd need two or three names from another class." Ryuuen leaned on the rails and crossed his arms. "I'm sure you're already aware of this, Katsuragi... but everything could be over in a flash if you just tell me all the VIPs from Class A, you know?"

"Of course, but I can't do that. Unless you can provide ironclad proof that you won't betray me, meeting your demand is impossible. And unfortunately, I don't have any VIP names outside of Class A's."

A disciplined and cautious man like Katsuragi will never give in to something so risky. Ryuuen understands that, so he had no choice but to back off.

"Well, 'guess there's no way around it then. With the Memorandum Restriction, making shady deals like this just isn't possible." Ryuuen smilingly sighed, looking exasperated. "Hahh... C'mon, Katsuragi. You gotta provide me some results. I'd be more motivated to cooperate with someone who does, you know?"

"I will try to help you in any other way, so there'd be no harm in cooperating with me. And besides, Class B and C are already collaborating. Unless we do the same, it would spell trouble for both of our classes," said Katsuragi.

"Heh, Class B and C? Bullshit. If they're taking their alliance seriously, this exam would've been over on the first day. Those clowns don't fully trust each other which means I still have a chance to rake in all of the rewards." Ryuuen scoffed with a shrug.

"Are you planning to break their alliance off by cooperating with one of them?" Katsuragi's eyes narrowed with a glint.

Given his methods, "chicanery" would be the more fitting word. Even if coercion wasn't a viable method, Ryuuen could still use verbal expedients to deceive his opponents.

"Those straight-laced damsels wouldn't want to hear anything out of me."

"Horikita and Ichinose, huh?"

"They could be pretty entertaining opponents. I could say the same for Kanzaki and Hirata, but as I've said before, I can crush them whenever I want. I've had my fun with you on the island, so I'll let you go this time. You're out here playing defense and using me as a failsafe, anyway. This deal might turn out to be of benefit for me," Ryuuen replied as the light in his eyes reflected a great thirst for prey. "If I really wanted to feel satisfied with a victory, Sakayanagi and Ayanokouji are the perfect stepping stones for me. It's unfortunate that I can't crush them right now, but I'll get my chance."