Vol. 3: Chapter 13.4 - The Hand that Beat Four Aces

Last Day, 11:55 AM.

The rest area was filled with students. Each class's designated area had chairs and drinks so everyone felt comfortable while waiting underneath the provisional tents.

"What the hell...? Why's Ibuki here? I thought she retired long ago..." Ken scratched his head in confusion.

"Any idea, Kiyotaka?" asked Akito.

"No, I didn't know that Ibuki was still on the island." I shook my head in response.

Drones equipped with cameras could be seen flying around the beach. They're probably meant for the people on the boat who aren't able to personally hear the results-- namely; Class D.

"Ibuki-san! We didn't expect to see you here! All of us thought you retired!" Kikyou and her friends walked towards Ibuki and tried to make a conversation.

Since the exam has come to a close, Ibuki's job naturally ended with it. Outside of being a spy, she doesn't know how to act around the friendly girls that accompanied her throughout the first few days.

"Uh... Well, some things happened so..." Ibuki struggled to respond. She was overwhelmed by their genial spirits.

Around that time, Mashima-sensei appeared with a megaphone in hand. The air around the beach tightened as soon as he turned it on.

"Good noon, everyone. Over this past week, we, your teachers, have closely watched your efforts in this special test. There were some students who took on the challenge honestly and head-on. There were some who devised schemes to tackle the test with creativity. Many things have happened, but overall, the test results were splendid. Good work."

The students appeared relieved to receive such straightforward praise from Mashima-sensei. It seemed like everyone was finally starting to believe that the one-week exam was really over.

"Well then, to get straight to the point. I would like to announce the results of the special exam."

Not even Chabashira-sensei has seen the results. Silence enveloped the place while everyone appeared to be on edge. I glanced at Ibuki, whose eyes narrowed in anticipation.

"We will not accept any questions regarding the test results, no exceptions. We would like you to accept the results you have been given, analyze them, and use them to help you for the next special exam. It is what it is. Don't wet yourselves over these results. I implore you to accept reality as it is."

Mashima-sensei raised the card in his hand. This very card holds the fruits of our labor in this special exam. Once the results reach our ears, things may very well reach a turning point.

Inside a luxurious medical suite on the cruise ship lay Ryuuen and his lackeys.

"Turn down the music volume, Ishizaki," he ordered with a grin. "Once they announce the rankings, I might consider changing it to a requiem, just to fit the mood."

Ishizaki hurriedly followed as Ryuuen leaned back on his soft bed. The T.V. screen was so big that even Albert and the others could see everything clearly from the door. The inordinate jazz music that reverberated throughout the room slowly faded.

Ryuuen looked forward to the reactions of everyone on the beach. He wanted to see how the three upper classes would take it-- after finding out that their provisional points didn't amount to anything at all.

"Now, we will announce the rankings. The lowest class, in fourth place, is Class A, with 120 points."

A commotion instantly erupted.

"Hahahaha! Look at their faces! The confusion and disbelief-- They're priceless!" Ryuuen reveled without restraint.

"In third place; Class D, with 126 points."