Vol. 1: Chapter 17.1 - Midterm Exams

May 28th, Friday.

"Good morning, Class B," Chabashira-sensei smirked seeing everyone's stiff appearances. "No absences, huh? Well, I guess that's only natural. Are you all ready?"

"Everyone has worked their hardest for the past few weeks, Chabashira-sensei. I don't think anyone in our class will fail," Hirata answered, carrying the thoughts and feelings of everyone.

"That's good, that's good." Her smile was unchanging as she nodded on Hirata's reply. "This midterm exam will be the foundation of your academics. After taking this, you'll have your finals in July. Do your best because the school will be rewarding you with a nice vacation during summer break if everyone passes."

"A vacation?"

"That's right, a dream vacation on an island surrounded by the brilliant blue sea," she answered.

It was a no-brainer that the boys immediately thought of girls in swimsuits.

"W-What is this pressure...?" muttered Ijuuin.

Even Chabashira-sensei stepped back from the obvious tension that the students exuded... which mostly came from the boys.

"Everyone, let's do our absolute best!" howled Ike.

"Yeah!"

Driven by Ike's misguided enthusiasm, the entire class's morale increased two or threefold. I was debating on whether I should cheer with them or not, but feeling Horikita's terrifying glare, I chose to stay silent.

Social Studies, Japanese, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English-- those were the order of the subjects we will take.

After the questions for the first subject were distributed, I instantly scanned the paper to see if they were the same as the old ones.

I won the gamble.

Even if I didn't memorize everything to the tee, it was evident the old test questions were identical to what we were taking right now. The order and phrasing were slightly different, but the questions themselves were essentially the same. I glanced to the side and saw Horikita looking at me with a triumphant glare. "It's Class B's victory", I thought as the two of us nodded at each other.

I glanced around the classroom to see how my classmates were faring.

Almost everyone was smiling. They really did study the questions we gave them. Alright, time to answer the exam myself.

Time passed by and at last, we finished our Mathematics exam. Students can finally take a break.

"Hell yeah! This is a complete win for Class B!" Ike cheered with the boys.

"I could probably score 120 points at this rate!" As usual, Yamauchi's confident words reverberated around the group.

Meanwhile, the Ayanokouji Group was having a meeting around Airi's seat.

"How'd everyone do?" I asked.

"No problem~! Those test questions were a godsend, Kiyopon! We got this in the bag!" Haruka raised her hand for a high-five.

Of course, I responded in kind.

"I probably scored 90 or more points on every subject. Not only were those a big help, but Kiyotaka's study materials also made it a whole lot easier for us, even if we didn't get to memorize everything."

"That's true... If Kiyotaka-kun didn't teach us the way he did, I'd probably score a bit lower even if I had the test questions," said Airi.

Our eyes turned to Ken, who was frantically scanning the test questions for English.