SS.18 - This is Only the Beginning

It was around 10:00 PM when three adults met up with each other.

In an open bar lounge, Hoshinomiya Chie, Chabashira Sae, and Mashima Tomonari relaxed on a sofa with their drinks in hand.

"You know, it's been a long time since the three of us got together," commented Hoshinomiya.

"It is what it is. Fate. After bouncing around from one thing to the next, we all chose the teacher's life," followed Chabashira.

"Enough. There is no point in talking about that." Mashima-sensei sighed before taking a sip of his martini.

"Ah, that reminds me. You were on a date the other day, weren't you? You've got a new girlfriend, huh? Mashima-kun, you're quite the playboy. And here I thought you were the quiet, unsociable type." Hoshinomiya teasingly poked at him.

"Chie, what happened to the man you were with?" Ignoring her statement, Mashima threw the question back at her.

"Ah-haha~! We broke up two weeks ago. I'm the type of girl who breaks it off once the relationship starts getting serious. It's just like, see ya later!" she replied.

"That's what you'd usually hear from a guy."

"Ah, but I'd never do that to you, Mashima-kun. You're my best friend, after all. I'd hate to ruin our friendship."

"Relax, I'm not worried about that."

Hoshinomiya filled her empty glass with whiskey and downed it in one gulp, contrary to how calm the other two sipped their cocktails. She then looked at Chabashira and asked with a smile.

"Are you having fun, Sae-chan?"

"What are you talking about?" Chabashira, who'd been quiet until now, responded with a cool expression.

"Oh, please~. You don't have to hide how happy you are. Your class bolted through the rankings on the first month, all thanks to your precious Ayanokouji-kun," she said.

"He's certainly gifted. I can't really say anything else. Right now, he's the sole reason why my class is right behind Mashima's."

"Ahh~! Hey, Mashima-kun, this isn't fair! I want an Ayanokouji-kun, too!" Hoshinomiya lightly tugged his sleeves.

"Hey, stop that, Chie," he scolded. "Given how close the points are, it's very possible for Sae's class to overtake us after this exam. However, that's even more dangerous, isn't it?"

"You don't have to act dumb, Chie. I know you're thinking about the same thing. Having Ayanokouji carry the class single-handedly would leave the class helpless if he ever gets expelled. You're banking on that possibility, right?" asked Chabashira.

"Wow, that's harsh, Sae-chan!" Hoshinomiya reacted comically before continuing with a bitter smile. "Honestly speaking, I'll never wish for any student to get expelled. At the end of the day, I'm still a teacher."

Seeing Hoshinomiya's genuine expression, Chabashira bowed her head lightly.

"Well, I guess that's true. My bad," she apologized.

"However, if a monstrous student like Ayanokouji falls victim to the future exams, your class will certainly take a huge hit-- one that they may never recover from."

Chabashira sipped her margarita with a sigh.

"You're misunderstanding something. The two of you have been looking at him too much, ignoring the existence of other students."

"No. At the very least, I'm not. Horikita Suzune. Her being the Student Council President's little sister isn't just for show. She's both academically and physically gifted. Kouenji Rokusuke. Apart from having an illustrious background, he's also on top in terms of academics and sports. Similar things could be said with students like Hirata Yousuke, Kushida Kikyou, and a handful of others like Yukimura Teruhiko, Nishimura Ryuuko, or Matsushita Chiaki." Mashima then gave her a side glance. "They're amazing students, but you might've forgotten why some of them were initially placed in Class D."

"Hmm... According to the records, Horikita-san stubbornly butted heads with her past teachers. Kouenji-kun exhibited extreme acts of negligence towards your class. And regarding the other achievers, some of them have been involved in troublesome past events from their previous schools," added Hoshinomiya. "Some just have weaknesses on others fields, though."

"You don't have to reiterate all of that for me. I know my students more than anyone. They're defective, and more than half of them could be considered dead weight. However, isn't that the purpose of this school? They'll slowly overcome their defects and become outstanding students. At least, that's what I believe." Chabashira finally emptied her glass.

"Woo-hoo~! 'Didn't expect the cold Sae-chan to be so soft with her students," said Hoshinomiya.

"Well, at least you're not losing your cool considering how your class is already behind mine."

"Ahaha! I have amazing students, too, you know? It's never too late to catch up."

"Hmph. Let's say that your class becomes the new Class A after this exam. That wouldn't be enough to shake anyone. Remember, it's only the end of the first semester for their freshmen year. Even Sakagami-sensei's Class D will have lots of chances to make a comeback," Mashima elaborated calmly.

"You're right. This is only the beginning," nodded Chabashira.

They all had the same thought.

While it was normal to have extraordinary students here and there, a lot of special students were enrolled this year. The three of them recognized that, but as usual, only one class will take the top during graduation. As teachers, it'll be up to them to guide their own respective classes.

Author's Notes:

Kiyotaka luckily overheard their conversation in the canon. That's not the case here, though.