SS.8 - Lilac in the Shadows

A petite girl with short silver hair sat on her desk inside the classroom of Class 1-A. She was accompanied by three other students-- one girl, and two boys. She was intimately holding her hat with a walking cane on her lap.

"You really won't come?"

"Fufu~. Will you miss me that much, Masumi-san?"

"Not really."

"I'll do what I can while we're there, princess," said the handsome boy.

"I'll be counting on you."

"I wonder if it's alright to give Class B a push. Katsuragi's hold would definitely fall if we make the biggest threat even more dangerous."

"Fufufu~. I wouldn't do that if I were you, Hashimoto-kun."

"Is there a problem with that suggestion??"

"Not really. I don't think it would matter much, anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"If my prediction is right, we'll become Class B after summer vacation."

"What?!"

The girl and the boy who was talking to the silver-haired girl were shocked by the sudden declaration. Even the silent boy turned to her in surprise.

"Oi, oi... Are you serious? Look, even Kitou is doubling-checking his hearing."

"Katsuragi-kun told us that Class B's advancement was a fluke, right? You didn't even refute him. So you don't think it was the case at all?"

"The idea of it being a fluke isn't really incorrect, but it's not entirely right, either. Katsuragi-kun isn't underestimating Class B at all, nor is he keeping his guard down. But as things stand, his conservative strategies will be our downfall-- at least, for now."

"I've had my eyes on Class B for a while now. Apart from Hirata and a girl called Horikita, there really isn't anyone to look out for. There's Kushida Kikyou, who's very popular, and Ayanokouji, who swims really fast, but even with the four of them combined with a handful of smart students in their class, they're really not much of a threat."

"Fufu~... You'll understand what I mean soon, Hashimoto-kun," the girl smiled.

"Wait, wait... Alright, let's say that Class B really is that much of a threat. Are you not gonna do anything about it?"

"I can't really do much, can I? My condition prevents me from attending the upcoming trip, and Katsuragi-kun will surely butt heads with me whenever I come up with plans. It's better to have him lead the class and take the full brunt of Class B's attack."

"I didn't think Class B was the aggressive type."

"They're not, Masumi-san. They're probably as friendly as Ichinose-san's Class C. Class D's Ryuuen-kun is still the most aggressive, in my opinion. However, we're still Class A. In the end, we're everyone's targets. I don't doubt Katsuragi-kun's abilities, but there really isn't much that he can do."

"Aren't you just overestimating Class B?"

"Fufufu~! You might be right, Masumi-san. I might as well be. But I can't help it... I just... can't help it." The silver-haired girl chuckled excitedly. "I really want them to be that formidable... That way, it won't be a boring feat to trounce them completely."

The three calmed down when she said those words.

"Is it alright if I give Class D a hand in stirring up chaos then?"

"You can do as you please."

"Class B isn't formidable-- far from it. He's the one responsible for their rise, and I'm excited to challenge him and him alone," she thought.