Vol. 1: Chapter 5.2 - A Friend

"Hmm... Why?" That should be the obvious question to ask, right?

"I know you're friends with her, but even someone as smart as you wouldn't be able to see through her act that easily. That's why I'm asking you to be careful," replied Horikita.

"Kushida is acting? Hmm... Would you mind explaining this further?" I asked.

Kushida was a kind and bright person. Not only is she cute and attractive, but she's also friendly and outgoing. If one were to pitch Kushida's personality to someone who hasn't met her, they would probably say that she's "too good to be true". If Horikita isn't lying, then... things might just get more interesting.

"She and I attended the same junior high. Although we didn't get the chance to be in the same class during that time, I've heard of Kushida-san's name. She was basically the same person, even back then. People would rally around her, and she would respond to their friendliness in kind," narrated Horikita. "However, during our final year in junior high, a big incident happened in Kushida-san's class."

"A big incident, huh? Do you know the details about it?" I asked.

"I don't, actually. I was too focused on the entrance examination for this school. The only things I knew were that the class became dysfunctional and that Kushida-san was the cause of the incident," Horikita answered with a sigh.

"Dysfunctional? How so?"

"From what I heard, boys started punching each other and girls hurt each other both verbally and physically. It all happened without any regard for authorities like teachers," she explained.

That's an overwhelming amount of hate.

"I see... Is that everything you know?" I tried to confirm.

"Yes. That's it. I don't know how Kushida-san did it, and the specifics of what she's actually done to start it in the first place. I'm not exactly treating her as an enemy, but I just don't want to get involved with her. I also need you to be at least aware of that incident. That way, you won't get the rug pulled right under you," replied Horikita.

"I'll need to investigate this further. It's not that I don't believe you, but Kushida is still my friend."

"Do you have a plan?"

"I'm making one right now... However, it would probably violate your wish." I glanced at Horikita.

"How so?" she asks, narrowing her eyes.

"You need to get involved with her."

"Is it really necessary?" Horikita slightly tilted her head.

"As things stand, yes. I still don't know anything concrete about Kushida. She'll get suspicious if I started asking questions all of a sudden. If I'm going to reveal what I know, then I'd need a card that I can play against her," I explained. "Truth be told, Kushida asked for my help so that she can become friends with you. I think it's a good idea, even after hearing this."

"Why would it be a good idea? I get that cooperation is key, but we would not see eye to eye. It'll bring more chaos than order, will it not? You're not telling me to act all buddy-buddy with her, are you?" Horikita raised an eyebrow.

"Of course not. All I want is for you to give her your contact info. Also, please don't talk to her in a blatantly hostile manner like you did earlier. Even if she's just 'acting', there's no need to bark at her when she's not doing anything to you. Don't worry, I'm not asking you to hang out with her or anything," I replied.

"If... it's only that much, then I guess I can comply." Horikita's face clearly told me that she didn't like the idea, but I'm glad she agreed.

After that, we talked about the lessons that the semester will cover, and some notable features that some of our classmates might possess. Time passed by quickly. The two of us noticed that it was almost five 'o clock.

"Horikita, before you go, can I ask you a question?" I suddenly addressed Horikita as she stood.

"Yes?"

"Do you consider me as your friend?"

Horikita turned away while looking down, thinking about what to say. Does she not want to, after all?

"If you really insist, then... I don't mind. Goodbye." Horikita briskly walked outside and shut the door.

To her, I might have sounded like someone who actually knows how to make friends. To be honest, I hope I really did. I want someone to share my troubles with, like any other normal teenager out there. However, my troubles aren't so normal that they can be shared with anyone. Not at all.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm the one who needs friends.

The sun was just starting to set. Sudou should be finishing his club activities around this time along with the students participating in clubs.

Hm? I received a text from Hirata.

(18:47) [Ayanokouji-kun, is it alright if I come to your room later? Something important came up, and we need your opinion on the matter. I'll be heading there with someone. If you agree, how about 8 PM later?]

Something important, huh? If it's Hirata saying it, then it must be true. Or at least that's what I'd like to think.

(18:47) [Sure.]

And sent. Well, I can't waste my time thinking about that right now. I'll go buy some basic tools and ingredients for my own kitchen. Living on convenience store food shouldn't be too good for a growing student like me.