SS.17 - Much To Learn

August 9th, 3:30 PM.

"I guess that explains a lot of what happened." Ichinose held her chin with a somber expression.

"We left out some details, of course. I hope you don't mind," I said.

"Oh, no problem. We're already grateful for the fact that you shared some information at all. Right, Kanzaki-kun?"

"Yes. We've done a lot of theorizing, and even though the conclusion we had was accurate, we wouldn't have confirmed anything if it weren't for your help," he nodded.

Ichinose wanted answers, so I gave her some. I didn't ask for anything in return since Ichinose wouldn't either if she was in my position.

"All of us got a taste of how unforgiving the special tests can be. In the end, we're all going to compete against each other. That said, do you still want to continue our alliance?" asked Horikita.

"You're right, Horikita-san. One simple mistake threw our hard work down the drain. Ayanokouji-kun's extreme measures led Class B to victory while we stayed naive." Ichinose smiled bitterly before facing us with a serious expression. "However, I want my class to improve, too. I want everyone in Class C to grow at their own pace. That's why our current goal is to maintain our position while looking for opportunities to take the lead."

"Ichinose and I have anticipated your question, Horikita-san. As we are now, overtaking Class B let alone Class A is a tough feat. That's why we want to prioritize stability," added Kanzaki.

"In other words, you intend to keep the alliance intact," said Horikita.

"That's right. Having Class B as an ally would certainly help us down the line," Ichinose replied with a smile.

"Wouldn't Class A be a better option as an ally?" she asked.

Well, a question like that would be right up Ichinose Honami's alley.

"Is that what your logic states, Horikita-san?"

"Yes, I think it's a very reasonable query."

"Well, the answer is obvious. Ayanokouji-kun is a close friend of mine. If I were to choose between him or Class A, there wouldn't even be a competition." With a bright smile, Ichinose shed light on the piece that Horikita missed. "That's what my logic states."

"A friend... I see," she pondered.

The old Horikita might've called it nonsense. But given her growth along with Ichinose's abilities, she took her words very seriously.

"It's because I can trust Ayanokouji-kun to some degree. I've known him since the first week of school, you know? We've been friends even before the S-System got revealed to us."

"Trust, huh...?"

"Oh, nevermind. That's not the case for you guys, right? After all, someone figured out the S-System in your class from the very start-- someone smart... very smart~." Ichinose eyed me with a teasing smirk.

As expected, Class A and D weren't the only ones who would find me out. After all, it's Ichinose we're talking about.

"It was only a matter of time," I shrugged. "I, along with the class, withheld that information for a whole month. Sorry if I didn't say anything even though we were already friends back then."

"Ahaha! Don't worry about that, Ayanokouji-kun! It's surprising for sure. But I think our class would've done the same thing, to be honest." Ichinose joyfully deflected my apology. She probably didn't want me to feel guilty about it.

"You've shown great academic excellence and athleticism since the start of school. You also figured out the truth about the S-System before anyone else. And of course, you've been leading Class B while producing stellar results." Kanzaki narrated with his usual expression. "No matter how anyone looks at it, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is one of the most excellent students in our year, if not the entire student body... That's why your placing in Class D is a big mystery to everyone."