Vol. 4: Chapter 3.2 - I'll Win

Two more messages were sent to me after a brief moment.

(8:01) [Ayanokouji, I'm the VIP in our group.]

(8:01) [Ayanokouji-kun, I'm the VIP.]

As instructed, any VIP from our class will immediately send me a text.

"How many others?" asked Horikita.

"Two-- Karuizawa from the Rabbit Group and Minami from the Horse Group," I replied.

"I see. That further strengthens our theory then," said Horikita.

"-That there are three VIPs in each class, right?" asked Kikyou.

Hoshinomiya-sensei stressed it near the end of our briefing. The school will be fair and impartial. The equal number of VIPs across each class made sense.

"Yeah," nodded Hirata. "We can't really help out our classmates too much, so our main priority is to hide your identity, Kushida-san."

Once our classmates meet up with their groups, our movements are limited. Of course, the option of eavesdropping on them via call is possible, but I'm sure we'll be preoccupied with our own groups' matters.

"Yes. For the nine remaining groups, I believe we need more time to figure out what's happening, before making any moves."

The four of us were fairly confident that a pattern or code exists. After all, Hoshinomiya-sensei explicitly stated that they will "consider some elements" before choosing the VIPs. It's the perfect scenario to really test our cognitive thinking. On the other hand, engaging in discussions will test our abilities in psychological warfare.

Now that we have three VIP names, cracking the code will be significantly easier.

Horikita and I decided to have lunch in a yakitori-ya on the first deck. It seems like she wanted to talk about the test. It's open as a restaurant during the day, but since the place still serves alcohol, it's off-limits to students during the night.

It's inconspicuous, to say the least. We're the only ones inside, so our conversation would normally be very audible to others, but the music was loud enough to drown out our voices. We weren't too worried about someone else coming. And besides, even if an eavesdropper wanted to sneak in, they'll instantly be seen by both of us the moment they reach the entrance.

"Now this is quite the secret meeting," I commented while waiting for our orders.

"Quite frankly, I wanted to feel the summer breeze back on the upper decks. However, this is a special exam. Anything that would give us an edge must be exclusive to our class," sighed Horikita.

Having a meeting in a place like this basically had zero risks so we didn't need to hold back in talking about potential strategies. Of course, once this location gets known to our rivals, it'd be extremely dangerous.

"Why didn't you invite Hirata and Kikyou?" I asked.

"I wanted to discuss everything with you first," replied Horikita.

"I see." After a quick sigh, I looked at Horikita with a serious expression. "There's a big chance that we'll become Class A after this, you know?"

"Yes, of course. That's why I'll do everything to win." Horikita's usual calm was still present, but her eyes exhibited a different kind of vibrance.

"Do you think your brother will recognize you after we get there?" I asked in an offhanded manner.

Inevitably, Horikita's composure took a hit.

"I don't know..." Knowing that I didn't have any malicious intent behind my question, Horikita chose to tackle it in an objective manner. Well, at least she tried to.