Vol. 1: Chapter 2.3 - Freedom

At the reception desk, Horikita and I received our room keycards, along with a handbook about the dorm rules for each of us. In addition to the basic things that we needed to know about our daily routines, there were also dates and times for garbage disposal, a notice to avoid making excessive noise, and notes about not wasting water or electricity.

"Amazing. I thought the school would deduct the cost from our points, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all," I muttered, with Horikita reading her own handbook beside me.

"They don't place any restrictions, even with gas usage," continued Horikita.

The two of us entered the elevator. According to my research, being stuck in an elevator will most likely lead to a big conversational disaster, but I didn't want silence between us. I'd like to keep talking while I can still think of something.

"My room is on the 4th floor. How about you?" I asked, pressing the number 4 button.

"It's on the 13th floor," she replied.

This school implemented co-ed dormitories, but of course, the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were strictly forbidden. Well, that much is obvious...

After we reached the 4th floor, I turned to ask Horikita.

"Do you not want to check out your room before we talk? Once you enter mine, it'll be the first-ever room that you've entered in the dormitories," I joked. She criticized me before about the way I deliver my jokes. I'm prepared for the worst on this one.

"Do you think about things like those, Ayanokouji-kun? I'm not someone who dwells on something so trivial and sentimental. Besides, I ought to talk to you as soon as possible." Horikita coldly responded.

"I was joking, my bad." I scanned my keycard to unlock Room 401.

It seems like wanting to talk to me didn't mean Horikita wanted to make friends. I expected that much, but it's still a downer, to say the least.

Now that I think about it, Horikita didn't even mind that she was going inside the room of a guy. She might think I'm harmless, but that's not enough reassurance for the difference in our body size should I do something dangerous. Of course, I'm not planning to do anything, but I didn't even realize the implications of our situation until now. Given my initial evaluation of her, Horikita doesn't seem like an airhead. In fact, it's the opposite. 

I see. She knows martial arts-- or at least, that's the guess I'm willing to bet on.

Halting my line of thought, the two of us finally entered. My room was twelve to thirteen square meters big.

"Let's talk while eating," I said, putting my bag on top of the bed.

I picked up the vacuum electric water heater and filled it up. After Horikita put away her school bag gently on the floor, she took out the cheap lunch set she brought from the convenience store and put it on the dining table.

"You can go ahead and eat first."

"Alright," she replied, accepting my suggestion.

I sat across Horikita and now we were face-to-face with each other. Looking at her again, she really was beautiful. If she was more outgoing and friendly, she can easily stand beside the likes of Kushida in terms of popularity.

"First off, what did you want to talk about?" I started.

She swallowed her food gracefully before answering.

"I want to know what kind of person you are. According to Chabashira-sensei, being placed in Class D means that you're a defective product of some sort. I personally don't agree with that. I pride myself as an exemplary student. They must have made a mistake. I assume that you feel the same?" she elaborated.