Vol. 1: Chapter 1.4 - Against the System

"Alright, Class D. Open your ears and listen carefully." Chabashira-sensei started with a stern tone.

Seriously, she acted absolutely indifferent towards our class when she first arrived, but now she's talking enthusiastically.

At this moment, every single student in our class looked serious, even the ones who gave the impression of incompetence and a lackadaisical attitude. Well, this may be a matter of life and death for their dream high school life, so I guess it's understandable.

"First of all, the points in this system can be classified into two. The 100,000 points that you have right now are called 'private points'. Meanwhile, there's also a little something known as 'class points'," said Chabashira-sensei.

The class started murmuring to themselves but immediately returned to silence once they noticed Chabashira-sensei's pause.

"Alright, let's continue. Every single freshman class, from A to D, is given 1000 class points at the start of the year because they passed the entrance exam. These class points are then converted into private points and are deposited into your accounts at the start of each month. With this in mind, you could conclude that class points are updated each month," she explained.

"Class points can indeed be decreased, but they can also be increased. In this school, we have what we call 'special exams', where each class will compete against each other. Based on your performance in these special exams, class points can either increase, decrease or stay the same." Chabashira-sensei closed her eyes indicating the end of her explanation... No, she was waiting for questions.

"Se-"

"Sensei, may I ask a question? Oh, you can go first, Horikita." I was a split-second earlier and beat Horikita to the punch.

"No, it's fine, Ayanokouji-kun. You can go ahead and ask your question first." She politely refused my offer.

"Go ahead," replied Chabashira-sensei.

"Alright." I nodded to Horikita before standing up. "Are there any outside factors that can influence our class points other than the special exams?"

"You cannot increase your class points outside of special exams. However, you can definitely decrease them. For example, tardiness, absences, sleeping in class, not listening during the discussions, and using your phones during lessons. Those are all things that can decrease your class points. I apologize in advance, but the details of the math with the deduction of the points themselves are strictly confidential, so I won't delve into those." Chabashira-sensei answered straight. Surely, she was expecting that question. "Sigh... If I wasn't compelled to explain this bit, I would never want to do so. Like, you're all high school students. It's only natural to follow these common school etiquettes."

The whole class gulped. It was evident that a lot of them were planning to do exactly those things, and focus on enjoyment using the money they have. They must be thanking me internally for making them dodge such a lethal bullet. To be honest, even I was severely surprised with Chabashira-sensei's revelations. This school really is something.

"You really saved their skins there, Ayanokouji-kun. I can only imagine the amount of class points we'd lose if we didn't take this gamble with you." Horikita said with a sigh.

"You can just consider it as me saving myself. Also, go ahead and ask your question now," I said, to which Horikita shook her head in response.

"My question was the same as yours." I see. So that was the case, after all.

"Ayanokouji-kun, you still have something on your mind, don't you?" Horikita said as she observed my thinking self, and she was absolutely right.

I nodded before raising my hand once more.