Vol. 3: Chapter 9.1 - The Calm Before the Storm

After the roll call, everyone started doing their own thing. I approached Hirata because I wanted to suggest an activity for the whole class.

"That's a great idea, Ayanokouji-kun. It might take away some stress for everyone," he said.

Every single student of Class B, apart from Kouenji, gathered around Hirata. Ibuki was watching, as well.

"Everyone, Ayanokouji-kun suggested something for the class to do later. After lunch, we would have a swimming party."

Our classmates gasped in surprise. A lot of the guys were visibly excited. We came to this island under the impression that we were going to have a luxurious summer vacation, so all of us brought our bathing suits.

"Hirata-kun, wouldn't it be cramped, though? There are too many people in the class," asked Karuizawa.

Forty people (including Ibuki) wouldn't be able to enjoy the river, especially if they wanted to go in at the same time. And besides, the shallow parts of the river aren't big enough to occupy all of us.

"Yes, you're right, Karuizawa-san. That's why we'll divide the class into two. Fifteen students will be here to play in the river and the remaining twenty-four will be swimming at the eastern beach," he replied.

"Hirata, Ayanokouji, you're not suggesting that we'll be spending points for this, right?" asked Yukimura.

His concern was absolutely valid. If that were to be the case, then we're no better than Class D.

"Don't worry, Yukimura-kun. We won't spend any points on this. That's also why we wanted everything to be ready by lunch. Since our base camp is looking pretty stable now, I want everyone to gather in groups so most of us can go search for more food. Ike-kun and the others will focus on fishing. Although we won't be able to buy anything to make things more fun, I think it'll be alright as long as we get the chance to play in the water. We'll have a lot of food to eat, as well. I wonder if everyone is okay with this?" With that explanation, everyone who was stressed out for the past couple of days should be down. A little bit of relaxation isn't too bad after all the hard work we put into making our base camp.

"I'm in!"

"Yeah, swimming time!"

"Let's do it~!"

Our classmates cheered and started forming groups. Hirata will be the one who'll lead the class to the beach with Makida and Okitani since they know the way. Meanwhile, I will be in charge of the group that'll swim in the river while guarding the campsite.

"Ibuki-san, do you want to come with us to the beach?" asked Hirata.

"I'll stay here," Ibuki answered curtly.

"I understand," he nods. "Then, we'd have fourteen students who will stay here, including Ibuki-san."

I instructed Kikyou to invite Ibuki in advance, mostly to keep an eye on her. But of course, any new information would help along with the things that Karuizawa has told me. Their group was assigned to search around the central parts of the island-- far away from my group.

"Ibuki-san, do you want to help us find food?"

"Huh, me?" Ibuki asked in surprise. "Sure, I guess. I owe you guys a lot by now, so I'll help."

"Great! Pleased to have you in our group!" Kikyou replied with a wide smile.

After they left, I immediately registered my name back on the device by the river. When the search party came together, I told everyone that I'll handle the spots alone so they could spend all of their time searching for food.