Vol. 3: Chapter 3.1 - Base Camp

"First of all, it would be nice if our class can look for a base camp as soon as possible. I'm sure all of you are suffering under the heat and it'll probably get worse later at noon." I started laying out my thoughts. "Hirata and I will take the lead. Ken, Akito, and the other guys will help us carry the tent. I want each guy to carry something apart from their things. The girls are free to help if they want."

"Where will we go from here, Ayanokouji-kun?" asked Hirata.

"Look, Class A's starting to move. They'll probably explore the forest and find someplace to set up camp. Of course, we'll do the same. However, since they're going on the west side of the island, I want us to explore the east side for ourselves, but we'll have to move now. If we make our base first, Class C and D will have no choice but to scramble along the center," I explained.

"That's so smart! Since Class A is our most dangerous opponent, it would make sense if we avoid them by monopolizing the opposite side of the island!" Karuizawa commented with a clap.

"As expected of Ayanokouji-kun!"

"He's so decisive!"

"Alright! We'll beat them by occupying more spots in the east!"

My excited classmates began gathering their things. We moved towards the east side of the island and passed by Ichinose's Class C.

When they saw us, Ichinose, along with Minamikata and her friends waved at me and Kikyou. It seems like there were still thinking about their next course of action.

"I understand Kushida-san being close with Ichinose-san and Class C, but it's great to see that even Ayanokouji-kun is on friendly terms with them," said Hirata.

"Well, I guess you can call us friends. I think I've mentioned this before, but I don't think Class C is our enemy."

"Kiyotaka-kun actually got pretty close with Ichinose-san from way back, you know?" Kikyou joined in on our conversation.

"Ohh... With how the class system works in our school, it's certainly rare to see two class leaders get along well with each other." Hirata smiled wryly.

"Don't worry. I'll still prioritize our class over my friendship with Class C."

"O-Oh, that's not what I'm getting at, Ayanokouji-kun... I also think having a friendly relationship with other classes is wonderful. Sorry if I sounded hostile."

"Ah, you didn't, don't worry. It was my fault for misunderstanding your point."

The small talks continued as we walked towards the east-side forest. Our classmates were engaged in their own conversations, too.

After a short while, Hirata and I stopped in our tracks and turned to everyone.

"Is there anyone here who has experience with the outdoors? I have to admit, I am not adept when it comes to these situations," asked Hirata.

"The same goes for me," I added.

Everyone stopped and listened to our plea, but only silence and our classmates' hesitant expressions greeted us.

"Uhh..." Ike slowly raised his hand.

"Ike-kun, do you have any experience with moving around in this environment? It would be of great help for the class if you can teach us a thing or two." Hirata instantly set up the stage for Ike.

"I don't know if it's considered experience, but I used to go camping with my family ever since I was a kid..." Ike explained. "Ah-- but of course, I'm nothing compared to those who were in the boy scouts. If anyone in here was a member, then they're probably more worthy of your time. Ahaha..."