Vol. 3: Chapter 7.2 - Misjudge

We saw a cave opening that looked like it cut deep into the mountainside. There were two temporary toilets and one shower room near the entrance, and a few students stood guard, surveying their surroundings with stern expressions.

So this is Class A's base camp, huh?

"We can't really see what's inside from here..." muttered Matsushita.

After observing the surrounding terrain, I've concluded that it was simply impossible to look around without getting spotted.

"Let's just approach them. What's the worst that could happen?"

Matsushita nodded nervously.

"Huh? Who are you? You're not from our class." A male student called out as soon as he saw us.

He was Totsuka Yahiko. According to Kikyou, Totsuka is the closest and most loyal student under Katsuragi. I don't know if she meant that they were close friends or if Totsuka just wanted to be under Katsuragi's leadership.

"I'm Ayanokouji, from Class B," I said.

"I'm Matsushita, from Class B, as well," followed Matsushita.

"Ah, I remember you from the ship. I don't know who this girl is, though."

"I'm just his classmate. Nice to meet you, uh...-"

"I'm Totsuka Yahiko, of Class A."

"Oh, Totsuka-kun, is it?"

"What are you two doing around here?" he asked vigilantly.

"We were scouting out the area. It seems like Class A has their own ways of doing things, huh?" I replied.

It would've been a win if I could catch a glimpse of the cave's inside, but a big vinyl tarp covered the entrance.

So this was what Ichinose meant by Class A being "secretive".

"Well, there's nothing to see here. It's better if you guys leave."

The other students guarding the place looked weary as they glared at us.

"Is there anything weird inside? Why are you guys covering the entrance? It's going to be really dark, you know?"

They'd need another light source, regardless. But using natural light during the day to save up a lantern's usage capacity would've been the better option. Covering up the entrance like this is strange, no matter how you look at it.

"That's... none of your business." He reluctantly replied with a flustered expression.

Matsushita was a pretty girl. It would make sense if Totsuka hesitates in responding rudely.

"This place is a spot, right? Is there a device inside? Our place had some sort of device, too." I asked.

"That's- Well..." Totsuka started getting tongue-tied.

He would only get more aggressive if I acted smart and overbearing. By dumbing myself down for a bit while asking gently, he'd see my questions as genuine attempts to exchange information.

"Ah! Like the mechanism thingy that we saw, right? Does your cave have one, too?" Matsushita asked with an innocently cute expression.

Nice follow-up. She understood what I was trying to do.

"W-Well, this place is... occupied by Class A right now. You guys can't..."

It was pretty obvious, but at least we could finally confirm it. This place was indeed a spot.

"Ohh, I see. We're not really trying to barge in. Is the space inside big enough for all of you?" I asked.

"Yeah..."