Vol. 4: Chapter 8.2 - Ideal Results

2nd Day, 8:00 PM.

[The fourth group discussion begins now.]

"Anyone up for a game?" asked Ichinose. "Katsuragi-kun, Ryuuen-kun, if you're not interested in having a discussion, why not join us for some card games?"

"I'll pass." Katsuragi gently refused before looking at his classmates. "You can join in if you want."

"We're fine with just chilling here, Katsuragi-kun," replied Matoba.

Yano and Nishikawa nodded in agreement.

"Maybe later, Ichinose. I have some business with Class A, after all."

Ryuuen purposefully set off Class B and C's alarm meters.

"Oh? What kind of business?" Ichinose's smile didn't disappear, but her eyes narrowed into a sharp stare.

"Heh. We're not in some kind of spy movie, so you don't have to play dumb. It's obviously about the exam," he replied.

"Alright, since you want to get straight to the point, I'll just ask you directly. Are you planning something with Class A?"

"Of course, I am. But if you want to know the specifics, go ask Katsuragi."

Ryuuen didn't feel afraid at all. He casually revealed his motives to everyone. All of us reflexively turned towards the calm Katsuragi.

"I'm not obliged to tell you anything. Class B and Class C are already colluding, anyway."

"Hm, I guess that's fair. But you're not so dumb as to give him the names of Class A's VIPs, right?" asked Horikita.

"I was inclined to say nothing at first, but I've taken that as an insult, Horikita. I'm not careless enough to make that mistake. Are you looking down on me?" replied Katsuragi.

"I see. I apologize, then. My statement was influenced by your blunder during the island exam,"

Oi, oi, is a fight about to break out...?

"If things are gonna be the same as our previous discussions, then so be it." Ichinose mediated the situation in an instant. "Let's just spend the hour in a fun way, as per usual. It wasn't my intention to force Class A or D into doing anything."

"Now, now. Even if we're in the same group, a conflict of interests would be inevitable. I think it's fine if we just mind our own businesses without any troubles." Hirata backed her up without much delay.

"Maybe everyone's interested in playing a different game? We can look something up on the internet!" followed Kikyou.

In the end, we spent our time frolicking around with the cards. However, before the hour-long meeting ended, we decided to talk about the exam.

"How's your progress with the pattern, Horikita-san...?" asked Ichinose. "We only have three names, so it's still pretty hard to notice any patterns."

"I'll be honest. Despite having four names to work with, it's not that easy to find a pattern. The assigned students should have something in common for them to be chosen... but I still can't find what that is," replied Horikita.

"I'm surprised that you're just as stuck, Ichinose-san. One of our hypotheses is that the VIP is decided based on something that only the person or the people close to them knows. So we thought that one requirement was to know the VIP," said Hirata.

"We've thought about that as well. However, even if I was close friends with everyone in my class, I still can't find the common factor that made them the VIP..." answered Ichinose.