Vol. 3: Chapter 2.1 - The Doors of Purgatory

"Special Test?"

"Huh? What are they talking about?"

The murmurs got considerably louder. On the other hand, Class B turned silent-- extremely silent.

"So you were right, after all, Ayanokouji-kun..." whispered Hirata.

Last night, the class group chat of Class 1-B was very active. All 39 students were online and participating in the chat. Despite the chaos, the main topic was the suspicion about this luxurious vacation.

(20:12) [There's a big chance that this vacation might turn out to be a special exam of some sort. Or at least a part of it will.] (Ayanokouji)

That statement started an entire conversation about what the class might do and not do if it turned out to be true. Ike messaged me, saying that he won't cause trouble for the class. It gave me the chance to give him some advice on what he could and should do. He told me that he'd talk with Yamauchi about it. Seeing the two of them now, it is nice to see that they're not running amok.

Not a lot of arguments were made apart from the fact that we'll still probably get the chance to have fun, which I didn't disagree with. I'm sure we'll still get the vacation we deserve... But for two weeks straight? I felt like it was simply impossible for there to be no catch at all. The class agreed to be on guard.

Anyway, it seems like my influence in the class was a lot firmer than I thought. Since I was ultimately right this time, they should start relying on me with class matters much like how they'd rely on Kikyou with their personal problems.

"The test commences now and lasts for one week, concluding on August 7th. This test will determine if you can live on a deserted island together as a group. In addition, I should warn you that this special test is both practical and realistic, designed based on real-world corporate training."

"Living on a deserted island? Does that mean we're not staying on the boat, but the island?" Some Class C and D students voiced their obvious concerns.

"You are correct. During the test, you will not be allowed to board the ship without a suitably justifiable reason. It will be necessary for you to fend for yourselves on this island while you are here, from creating a place to sleep to preparing food to eat. Once the test starts, each class will receive two tents and two flashlights. You will be provided with one box of matches. There is no limit to the amount of sunscreen you can have. Each student will be provided with one toothbrush. As a special case, girls will be allowed to have as many feminine sanitary products as they'd like, without any restrictions. Please ask your respective homeroom teachers for those. That is all," explained Mashima-sensei.

With that, the teachers began distributing the said items.

Some students were making minor fusses, but everyone understood that there was no going back.

"This is pretty extreme. We'll have to act like island survivors."

"Two tents only? That's simply not enough..."

"What are we going to do about the food?"

"It's quite insane, to be honest..."

Mashima-sensei gave no sign that this was some kind of joke. If anything, he appeared surprised by what they've said.

"You may say that this is unbelievable, but that's because you've lived a short, superficial life. There is an actual, prominent company that holds training sessions on uninhabited islands," he said.

Some students seemed unconvinced, but Class B, in particular, remembered the things that Chabashira-sensei has said in the past when she revealed the S-System to us.