Vol. 4: Chapter 11.4 - Changes

Final Day, 9:00 PM.

When the Dragon Group separated, Horikita got up and briskly walked out of the room. I immediately went after her with Kikyou and Hirata following along in a panic.

"Horikita," I called.

She turned around with a glare to which I reply...

"I know you're wondering why the Dog Group didn't submit the answer."

Horikita stopped in her tracks. She probably planned to ask the Class B students in the Dog Group. After all, the VIP of that group is from Class D. Horikita already told them who their VIP is, but they haven't submitted their answer even until now. It wasn't part of Horikita's plan at all.

"Ayanokouji-kun... Were you the one responsible for this?" she asked.

"Yeah, I never had the chance to tell you because Ichinose and the others were there," I nodded.

"Alright. Since you're the one who planned this, I won't go out of my way to confront Yokoyama-san and the others." Horikita turned around before glancing back at me. "In return, I want to know everything that you did behind the scenes."

"Sure, how about the 9th deck? Kikyou and Hirata can come along."

The two caught up as I spoke those words.

"H-Haa... I-Is everything alright, Kiyotaka-kun, Horikita-san?" Kikyou asked while panting.

"That's fine with me, let's go." Horikita lead the way as her raven-black hair fluttered beautifully.

The four of us sat in a cafe. The bright lights illuminated the coldness of our last night on this luxurious cruise ship.

"The representative of the Dog Group was supposed to be Rino Akari-san. However, neither her nor Yokoyama-san and Makida-kun submitted an answer."

"And based on what we've heard earlier, Ayanokouji-kun was the one who made them not do so?" asked Hirata.

"That's right, I've contacted them in advance. Now that the exam is finished, my reason should be obvious for you guys," I replied.

"This was your trump card to protect Kushida-san, right?" Horikita answered with a side-eye.

"Protect me...?" Kikyou slightly blushed with a confused expression.

"Now that I think about it, that should indeed be the case. If Rino-san submitted the answer along with the other ones, the only group that'd remain is the Dragon Group. If that happens, everyone will know that the VIP is from our class. With amazing students like Katsuragi-kun, Ichinose-san, and Ryuuen-kun, it'll be hard to maintain the secrecy of your identity, Kushida-san," explained Hirata.

"I don't think Ichinose-san will try to interrogate us, but Ryuuen-kun would most possibly will. And since Katsuragi-kun lost horribly, being backed to a corner might make him join Ryuuen-kun's last assault on us."

"But isn't that weird, Horikita-san?" Kikyou cocked her head to the side. "Ryuuen-kun already knew that the Dragon Group's VIP was one of us, right? Why didn't he try to get the name earlier...?"

Hirata and Horikita started to ponder. Kikyou's query was sound and valid. Ryuuen's silence was indeed a mystery. That said, I have no intention of giving my opinion on the matter.

"Well, Ryuuen-kun aside, what were the specifics of this plan, Ayanokouji-kun?" Horikita turned her attention back to me.

I created this plan knowing full well that I'd get busted in the end. All I can do now is tell them the truth.