SS.16 - Troubles in Paradise

August 8th, 6:00 PM.

There were quite a bunch of girls walking in and out of their rooms on the 4th deck. That's why it wasn't too embarrassing to go here right now. A lot of guys were hanging out with their female friends (or maybe girlfriends), so there wasn't any reason for me to feel out of place.

I finally reached my destination, but before I managed to bring myself to knock on the door, the voices of Horikita and Mori reached my ears.

"Was that name really alright...?"

"It's fiiine~. It's a nice wordplay on your name, isn't it? And besides, with that name, no one would guess that the user is you. Isn't that better?"

"Well... you're right."

"See? Don't worry about it, Horikita-san. Or perhaps, are you envious of my cool name?"

"Impossible. Don't get ahead of yourself, Mori-san. I couldn't care less."

"Okay~. Whatever you say."

It seems like they're having a pretty nice conversation. I don't know what it's about, though.

*Knock*

"Hm? Who's here?"

"It must be Ayanokouji-kun," Horikita replied as she got up to the door.

I sent her a text prior so she should be expecting me.

"Yo," I greeted.

"Woah, it really is him. Did you invite Ayanokouji-kun to hang out, perhaps?"

"Hmm, strictly speaking... that would not be the case."

"I'm just here to chill. I can leave if I'm being a bother, though."

"Ah, no, no, not at all. Feel free to cuddle with Horikita-san on the bed."

"Mori-san." Horikita faced her with a sharp glare.

"Ahaha, I was joking~," she shrugged with a chuckle.

Ohh, someone finally gets her personality, huh?

"Sorry about this, Horikita. I tried my best today, you know? But socializing really is draining."

"I see. Well, feel free to sit around. I'll continue reading my book."

"That's such a loner thing to say, Ayanokouji-kun," teased Mori. "Or at least, that's what I would've said if I weren't the same."

"The same?"

"You've been hanging out with your friends since morning, right? Even an average normie wouldn't be able to do that. I'm also mentally drained today. That's why I'm here. Horikita-san's keeping me company~."

"I'm not. I was just reading this entire time."

If I remember correctly, Horikita's roommates are Mori, Rino, and Ishikura.

"Oh, you don't have to be so shy. We've talked about tons of stuff since yesterday, right?"

"I suppose that's true." Horikita sighed as she opened her book again. "Well then. Now that you have someone to talk with, I hope you can let me read in peace."

"Wouldn't our noise bother you?" I asked.

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun's willing to have a chat!"

"I don't mind at all. Talk all you want," replied Horikita.

"We'll take you up on that offer then."

Horikita leaned against the wall while I sat on the edge of the bed, right in front of her.