SS.19 - Karuizawa Kei: What Resides Within Us

What did I expect after coming to this school?

Did I expect things to change? What even is the "change" that I wanted?

The girls and boys probably dislike me for my attitude. Similarly, my peers didn't like me back then, so I got bullied. Both of which were my fault, to begin with.

Aren't things the same then?

Strictly speaking, they're not. This time, I'm doing everything I can to protect myself. And so far, I've succeeded.

However, if my past as a severely bullied weakling is revealed, everything I've built on will shatter in an instant.

Well, it's not like I cared too much about my reputation, but the protective shell I've created alongside it would also be destroyed. No matter what happens, I can't let that happen.

"Sigh..."

I turned off the shower while fending off the disruptive thoughts.

I got out of the bath and stood in front of the mirror, completely naked.

"-!!"

I look at my side and the sight of my disgusting scar made me nauseous. I gripped the faucet in fear as I vomited.

The events from that incident were vivid enough to make me remember everything in detail. My hideous past isn't something that I can run away from.

For the longest time, I knew that this sanctuary was temporary. And with my past slowly creeping up from behind, I can only imagine the hell waiting for me.

"Ohh? So that's how it is. You were bullied in the past, weren't you, Karuizawa?"

The moment I heard those words, I knew my life was over.

Everything will return to how it was back in middle school. Tormented, ridiculed, and laughed at. Some might pity me, and some might lend a helping hand, but everything would be over for me. The Karuizawa Kei that I wanted to be will be nothing but a pipe dream now.

My weak denials didn't go through them.

My pathetic pleas overjoyed them.

Ahh, how familiar.

I wonder what kind of eyes I have right now.

My body was instinctively crying, trying its best to combat the hell moving forward. Maybe, just maybe, there's still a way to convince them. Even though my heart was as good as empty, my tears still flowed while my voice cried out. It was a futile effort for my inevitable suffering.

*Slap*

I got slapped across the face. It doesn't look like she's used to slapping considering how weak it was.

I'm sure the other two will take their turns. After that, they'll probably escalate their violence to punches, then kicks. All of that while berating me and mocking me.

This is the worst... I just want to die--

I feel suffocated. My mind was miserable and my heart had collapsed in despair.

But... when I thought everything was over, he appeared.

"Alright, why don't we stop it right here?"

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. He was Class B's enigmatic leader.

He was the sole reason for our class's current position. Ayanokouji-kun led the class with ease, using the capable students effectively to turn things around. He predicted that I would lead the girls and even helped me with my plan to date Hirata-kun.