115. Duties of a maid of honour/the Liz Wilson fanclub

The second, extravagant wedding of my dear friends Kate and Lewis happened two weeks after the season finale. A few changes had been made since we last spoke of the wedding. For starters, Kate had found a new dress she fell in love with (so she bought another wedding dress). Not to mention the number of bridesmaids decreased, making me maid of honour. The couple invited new people and crossed some names off the guest list.

I barely settled in the new hotel, because Kate needed my assistance in her room. As her maid of honour -oh how I loved to have that title- I bore great responsibility. I was glad to take care of it for her, although I also wondered what went on in her head when she picked me for this task.

"I told him not to make her his 'best man', but no, he insisted and now everybody is talking about her instead of me!" Kate exclaimed as she sat in front of a vanity table. In the meantime, I attempted to perfect her hair. I carefully secured the strands with bobby pins. "Next thing he's gonna tell me is that we'll have to take her with us on our honeymoon!"

"No one gives a shit about Liz, I assure you. She's going to be the butt of the joke when they see you walking down the aisle," I stated bluntly, turning Kate to face me. "Now sit still."

Kate sighed heavily but did as I instructed her.
"Oh watch me marry his dog instead," she said whilst crossing her arms.

"You'll crease your dress," I warned, continuing to pin her hair.

"So? It won't matter, Lewis will have his eyes on his dear Lizzy anyway," she laughed lightly, trying unsuccessfully to hide the fact that her voice wavered ever so slightly. "This whole marriage ruing is such a waste of time. Why are weddings even so important?"

"You already married him in summer, remember?" I reminded her, glancing over towards the mirror and smiling softly at her reflection. "And if it helps, I can make her trip when we walk down the aisle. Face first?"

"Do you know how much attention she'll get for that?" Kate asked sceptically. "She'll be the talk of the town, no, not town, world! People will talk about the wedding, about the 'best man' stumbling, not the bride. No of course, not the bride, she'll never get any attention at all..."

"Why did you even agree to this then?" I questioned as I straightened up and stepped away from her to admire my work. "I mean, Liz wasn't even invited in the first place. What the hell makes you think she deserves to be up there?"

"Lewis kept whining and whining until I gave in to him," she admitted, throwing her head back dramatically. "He mentions her so often I might divorce him before we even get married, I won't even be sorry about it."

"I'm not letting you back out of this wedding now. I look way too good in this dress and I need to have this captured forever," I said seriously as I glanced into the mirror.  "I'm so outshining Liz. For your sake, obviously."

"Watch her have a 'Speak Now' moment," she sighed. "Or show up in white, imagine if she shows up in white, Daisy. Imagine it! "

"Liz walking down the aisle in a wedding dress is not exactly the image I would have liked, but okay, I can picture it," I nodded. "As for you..." I trailed off as I finally fixed her hair and checked her makeup. "You look gorgeous, sweetheart. Don't sell yourself short. You're walking down that aisle..."

"I'm not so sure about that."

"I am." I flashed her a smile. "You're walking down that aisle, wearing that dress of yours, looking absolutely gorgeous as usual, and Lewis looks so damn happy as he watches you come towards him. Just like last time."