16. ✨sixteen✨

A/n: votes and comments are appreciated! A friendly reminder x. That sounds sarcastic. I just want to feel loved, thank you.

It was an early autumn morning and a cold breeze blew in our faces occasionally. The smell of damp moss and rain filled our nostrils as we held hands, walking through the forest. Twigs and leaves cracked under our muddy shoes. Every now and then, you could feel the suns warmth interrupting the winds biting frost. Trees with swayed back and forth, dropping acorns on our heads. Luckily, I wore a thick beanie that covered my ears and head, so it didn't really hurt that much as it did with Charles, who refused to wear the one Lando left once, I assumed because of the McLaren logo.

I buried my face in my scarf, fully packed in my favourite winter outfit. Winter/Autumn was so much more fashionable than summer, probably because of the layers. I didn't buy gloves just yet, but with one hand in the pocket of my light grey coat and the other warmed by that of Charles, I couldn't complain. Charles on the other hand, a different story, I was used to the cold after all these years in rainy countries, but apparently in Monaco, they didn't experience this type of cold.

"Why are we doing this again?" He asked while warming his hands with his breath before intertwining his fingers with mine for the thousandth time this morning. It'd be so much easier to just hook our arms together and keep them in our pockets.

"Because it's arts and crafts day!" I exclaimed. "You show up at my doorstep, you might as well get involved in the family tradition now." Today, the harvest moon would appear in the night sky, which meant the introduction of autumn in our family, grandma made it up when we were little children. For this, we'd take pretty leaves, twigs and pinecones out of the forest and make stuff with it. Mum also enjoyed oven-roasted chestnuts and I loved searching for them, even if I wasn't going to eat them. I took a tote bag with me for the stuff we found and I already collected some things, the only rule we had was to only pick things from the ground, everything still attached to the trees belonged to nature. "And I promised to give you a tour, so welcome to another of my favourite places."

"But it's cold!" He complained again, steam escaped out of his mouth when he exhaled. Okay but that's hot. "I'm breathing clouds!" He chuckled. I let out a chuckle as well, then I noticed the little white cloud coming out of my mouth. "Yours is prettier though,"

"The breath coming out of my mouth is prettier?" I raised a brow and burst out into laughter. "If that was an attempt at flirting, you suck at it." He gasped and playfully nudged my arm with his, I tripped away to the side, but he pulled me back in.

"I might be rubbish at flirting, but you still managed to fall for me so I've must have done something right." I felt my cheeks turn red, not that they weren't already from the cold. I could barely feel my nose, but this actually made my face heat up. "Don't deny it, you know I'm right."

"What gave you that idea?" I chuckled, he was right though, but I thought I'd hidden my feelings pretty well. He rolled his eyes and chuckled, raising our hands to let me see how much they held onto each other. "That's partly your fault as well?"

"Shall I make a list?" He asked, I shook my head, expecting I'd make a total fool of myself, which I probably already did. "The day I got here we talked all night and were surprised when your mum said it was breakfast time? Or how you got mad at the security guard for interrupting us at the field?"

"The field huh?" I stroked my hand over my chin and pressed my lips tightly together. "I don't think I remember what happened there?" He raised his brows and stopped us. "Maybe you can fresh up my memory?"

"I've gotta admit that was smooth," He said, a cheeky grin curving on his lips. I took both of his wrists and chuckled as I pulled him behind a thick tree a little deeper in the woods, I didn't want those old people to stare at us when on the path. "In a rush?"