42. Lights out

Qualifying results Australia:
P1 BOT, P2 HAM, P3 VER, P4 LEC, P5 VET,
P6 MAG, P7 MAY, P8 NOR, P9 GAS, P10 RAI,
P11 PER, P12 RIC, P13 HUL, P14 SAI, P15 STR, P16 ALB, P17 KVY, p18 GRO, P19 RUS, P20 KUB

I felt extremely good after out-qualifying all my friends, who were just Alex and Lando at this point. I avoided George at all costs, not because I wanted to, but because he asked me to. We just couldn't be friends according to him and seeing him broke my heart. I missed my friend.

I shouldn't have confronted him about it. I shouldn't have listened to Sophia and I definitely should've kept my knowledge to myself. Though now that I thought about it, he didn't hide his feelings that well either, so he couldn't blame me for knowing something even when I connected the pieces a little too late for my liking. No wonder everyone called me stupid. At least I'm self-aware now.

For this reason, I decided to keep the Lando thing to myself. I couldn't lose him either so if I just kept him satisfied and provided him with just the right amount of false hope, I'd have some friends left. He didn't question the fact that I denied meeting up with our old friend group at all, which kind of surprised me. I didn't want to be alone though, so I met up with some of the people who happened to stay in the same hotel as I did.

The gossiping journalist I liked, Kate from Ferrari and Joey. The four of us all sat around a table in the restaurant in the hotel, we had dinner together and stayed there for the entire evening with some coffee and desserts.

"Pretty childish if you ask me," Joey mumbled, playing with his nails. "You can't stop seeing him, you're gonna see each other if you want it or not," He talked about George and I. "It's impossible to avoid someone in the paddock."

"That's not true," Kate answered. "I avoid that guy with the punchable face." I chuckled, knowing she meant Max. "Unless I want to insult someone, I don't see him."

"He will walk into this room now that you've said so," Blaine, the journalist, mumbled before talking further.

"No, it's past his bedtime," Kate said in full confidence, despite the fact that she was only 27, she always felt the need to bring it up. She was allowed to drink in every country, she was allowed to do anything she wanted and she lived in Monaco, quite an achievement if you asked me. She didn't actually live in Monaco, her boyfriend had a lot of money apparently and he had many houses around the globe so she changed houses every time he did. "And if he doesn't want my cars to pass him right away, he needs his rest."

"Katherine," Joey started, he actually wanted to call her by her full name and not use nicknames. So every time he had the opportunity to pronounce her name with a rolling r, he did. "What have you done to our engine?"

"I don't have the time nor the crayons to explain," She shrugged. I raised my brows, were we really that young? Joey furrowed his brows. "It's complicated." She took a sip of her wine and turned her attention to me. "Speaking of complications, what was the thing about the British tall dude?"

"George?" I sighed. "Let's say we're not friends anymore," Kate gasped, then showed a cheeky smile. She wiggled her brows. I shook my head, it wasn't the way she thought. "We're not speaking anymore."

"Yeah I figured that out," Kate rolled her eyes. "Why?" Both Joey and Blaine walked away and didn't plan to return. This confused Kate even more. She leaned a little further towards me and looked me right into my eyes. I didn't plan to tell her the whole story, but she looked like she'd kill me if I didn't. "Spill the tea."

"He has a crush on me," I whispered.

"I absolutely adore how you state the obvious with so much sense of discovery," She played with the ring on her finger. "Daisy darling, I sometimes wonder who ties your shoes."