32. New beginnings

A/n: do I still need to beg for attention? I'm just wondering.

My 2019 started with a blast, literally. The fireworks shoot into the air and bursts of colour lighted up the sky. Lots of friends came to visit us, including Mathis, who I hadn't seen in a long time. He belonged to the family friends, he and his family got involved in ours thanks to me. I always stayed proud that I managed to get this family to meet mine. They lived in the Netherlands and Mathis and I kinda dated throughout elementary school, not seriously, more like best friends, but thanks to that, I got myself a second family.

I had no idea why, or how, Lando managed to show up as well, but obviously I welcomed my friend with open arms and disgusting champagne. Grandma and grandpa stayed here as well, but they'd go home tonight, unlike the Bakker family, who couldn't be bothered to book a hotel. Mathis his mum, Clara, really struggled with her OCD and she felt the most comfortable in our house. She and Andreas, her husband claimed my mum's bed and mum would share with Sophia. Mathis would sleep on the floor in the room of Sabrina, they had this undeniable chemistry, but I didn't doubt for a second that Sabrina remained faithful to Sarah, who by the way, also joined the party, but would go home. Britt, Mathis sister, who also felt like mine, refused to sleep on the floor, so I offered her my bed. I wasn't planning on sleeping anyway and probably would go for a walk around the neighbourhood to chat with my 'lovely' neighbours and their children to pass time.

Our sofa, the one we kept as a spare in the garage, could also be used as a bed with minor changes, so Lando and I decided to sleep there just in case we needed some rest. I felt like I betrayed Charles if I asked my best friend to stay the night, but Sabrina convinced me Charles wouldn't mind if Lando and I slept in the same bed. I wouldn't be too happy about such thing if I were in Charles place, or if Charles slept in the same bed as one of his exes, so I felt like not sleeping at all would solve all my problems.

The shiny fireworks reflected in my silver sequin dress, a little too short according to my grandma, but I wanted to walk into 2019 with confidence. If felt like a bad bitch now, no one could break me. I left as much baggage behind in 2018 as I could and I'd start this year without any toxic people, I cut them all off, no cheating exes, no betrayers or people that tried profit of my success. A few minutes past midnight, I blocked all those people on all off my socials and deleted their numbers, the few photographs I had left of them, I tore apart and burned the pieces of paper in the cracking campfires in front of our houses.

It looked nice, all those rusty barrels with fire on both sides of our street for as far as you could look. We also burned our Christmas tree in it, it resulted in lots of smoke and gasps, but the fire that came afterwards made sure it was worth it more than everything. It was an hour past midnight when Sabrina and Sarah decided to make another batch of oliebollen, a delicacy from my home country, also known as Dutch Doughnuts. In the meantime, Mathis and I strolled around the neighbourhood, watching the children that usually had to go to bed around seven.

"Do you remember when we looked like that?" Mathis asked, pointing at a young boy and girl holding hands at a fire, properly distanced from it though. The corners of my lips turned upwards into a smile and I nodded, remembering the time we didn't know any worries. "Why did we break up actually?"

"Because I was taller than you," I chuckled. He didn't have the guts to break up with me in person, so when my mum came home and I watched Big Time Rush on the couch, she told me that Mathis wanted to break up. Little Daisy's heart broke for the first time and she tried her best to not burst out into tears, after that she won another karting championship, so it must've been good for something, I recalled that day so easily. "You were such a pussy."

"True, I still wish it undone every day," he chuckled, his arm brushed against mine. Turns out Lando wasn't the one I needed to worry about. Mathis on the other hand, acted a little suspicious. I looked up at the guy whose shoulder started where the top of my head ended if I didn't wear stilettos. "My mother still hasn't forgiven me for it."