20. That wasn't a smooth operation

A/n: a very friendly reminder to comment and vote? Sorry I'm annoying I know.

We slept on the couch last night, no problem whatsoever, but neither of us wanted to kill the spider, so we'd let it starve in Charles' bedroom, that was the plan. What if it happened to crawl in your nose during that precious night of sleep with the person you love to spend time with. We postponed the Monaco tour to today, I'd leave tomorrow evening and I really wanted that day to pack my bags again.

We strolled around the narrow streets of Monaco. Small shops, restaurants, hotels and flats, all of those buildings were painted in a light shade of orange. The buildings looked very similar to one another, however, they had enough differences. Some houses had nice balconies with plants, while others had amazing details on the edges of the house. I loved the architecture and I kind of understood why Charles loved his country so much. The pavement we walked on went downhill and it would eventually lead us to the harbour.

The sound of many people talking in languages I didn't know didn't really reach my brain, but I overheard a conversation in my mother tongue, Dutch. I assumed them to be tourists, even though their accents sounded so familiar. I looked over my shoulder in the most casual way someone could and my eyes widened. "Charles?" I asked as I hooked my arm in his even tighter than before.

"What's wrong chérie?" He asked, stroking his hand through my hair. "You look pale," he felt my cheeks with the back of his warm hand and put one arm around my shoulder. "Are you sick? Shall I bring you home?" I shook my head and looked behind me again, no eye contact, I hoped they didn't see me and if they did, I hoped they didn't recognise me.

"It's my ex and his girlfriend that used to be one of my best friends but then he cheated on me with her," I whispered, Charles's eyes widened. "I'd swear I've told you."

"You don't tell me lots of things, like you stole my seat halfway through the season," I couldn't be bothered to react. "Sorry, just kidding, still can't laugh about it?" I shook my head and quickened the walking pace, Charles easily caught up with me and put his arm back around my shoulder with a tight squeeze. "But your ex? The toxic one?" I pressed a finger against his lips. "Are you shushing me?" I nodded.

"Talk on a lower volume and walk faster, we need to leave before-"

-"Well, well, well," A shrilling voice interrupted us, I let out a sigh and tried to ignore them for as long I could, I really wanted to avoid these people. "If that isn't Daisy and the next guy she's keeping on the hook." Charles furrowed his brows and turned around.

"Excuse me, do we know you?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at the couple. They looked at us with a confused look on their stupid faces. "Hey, you're the one that started talking, just asking a question here if you don't mind."

"Charles, these are Lucas and Tanya, Lucas and Tanya, meet Charles," I mumbled as I stared at the cobblestone pavement, not having the guts to look either of them in the eyes.

"Not a pleasure to meet you both," Charles replied and shoved his hand in his pocket when Lucas tried to shake hands. "Don't act like you're a good person now when we all know you're a toxic cheater," I bit my lip, hoping he wouldn't get in too much trouble. "And you're just as bad, Tanya, if not worse," he paused for a brief moment and pressed a kiss on my temple. "Shall we leave chérie? Julia is still at my mums' house, we need to pick her up." Who the hell is Julia? Lucas nostrils flared and I saw his face turn red.

I agreed. It seemed the best to just go along with Charles' crazy story about someone named Julia. I said goodbye with a forced smile and when we were sure they couldn't hear us anymore we burst out in laughter. "Who the hell is Julia?" I chuckled when I hooked my arm in his.