25. Simply the best

A/n: THERE IS A CHANCE YOU'VE MISSED CHAPTER 24. READ THAT FIRST. Wattpad had its problems today.
I'm annoying I know, but pressing that little star at the bottom of your screen would be cool? Yes, I just want attention. Sorry.

I paraded around the paddock in my racing gear like the next race wouldn't change my life drastically. Race number one went perfect for me and after starting in pole position, I dragged my car over the finish line in first as well, George did his best, but he couldn't catch up with me and stayed second.

Now, it was time for the final race of the season. A 12 point gap between the runner up and I, gave me some breathing space and even if George won, I'd still be champ if I finished six or higher. There wasn't lots of pressure, though I didn't want to wipe this off as easy, starting in eight for the second race meant I was surrounded by other drivers that wanted a final chance to prove themselves.

"Radio check please?" Joey asked.

"Fun fact," I started. "I'm going to win this one."

"Great to have you back Dais," He said. "Don't get too cocky though." I rolled my eyes and curled my fingers around the steering wheel. My heart pounded in my chest and I glanced at the drivers around me. I could figure out who was behind me, but only the front mattered.

George in p7, Lando in p6, Alex in p5, Latifi in p4, my teammate started on p3, just behind Ghiotto and Markelov, who started the sprint race on pole position. We only need to race for 12 laps, the final 12 laps of the season.

Lap 1
Alex car didn't start, which ruined mine as well as he was the one in front of me. I had to slow down rapidly and squeeze myself around the outside. Of course, it couldn't start better. Luckily, red flags made up for my shitty start when some others at the back crashed into him. I found it strange that they couldn't see a whole car in the middle of the track, but that's probably why they started at the back and didn't compete in front. I didn't lose any positions and sat right behind George during the safety car.

"Everything okay Dais?" Joey asked.

"I'm fine, the car is also fine. What about Alex and the others?" I asked. Of course, I was concerned about what happened to my only friend that wasn't a pain in the ass. It looked pretty bad in the mirrors, it seemed like the entire bodywork fell off the car, all the technical stuff was exposed.

"He's moving," Joey answered. "If we pit now, we don't need to box anymore, what do you think?"

"No, it's a waste of time, these tires are good," I sighed. "Stick with strategy C." This made sure that no matter what, I'd end up before George. If he got the call to box, I'd be there first.

Lap 4
The safety car ended and the leader, as usual, set the pace. He started speeding up when we drove over the main straight. Markelov and Ghiotto battled for P1 as I gathered more and more speed and suddenly drove next to my two British friends. Three wide we went into the first corner, where Lando, who had the inside, left no space for George. George needed to brake fast, but I didn't have to do anything with that and took advantage of it.

"Russell has a flat spot on his tires, he's boxing this lap." I let out a groan, but couldn't complain. "Please confirm." I pressed a button on my steering wheel that gave Joey and the others on the pit wall the sign that I entered the pits.

As usual, the pitstop crew was ready with the tires and a quick pitstop, I ended up behind Jack Aitken, George his teammate, on p8 again. I've only lost two positions, which actually surprised me. George left the pits as well, but another car separated us, which gave me more breathing space.