28. The day before Christmas

A/n: hey hey this is the last day of my promised streak, but I'm probably going to continue posting like this because I enjoy it so much (maybe some breaks since school starts soon) don't forget to vote and comment to boost my ego thank you very much!

"So you're actually celebrating Christmas in Monaco?" Mum asked as she leaned against the doorframe, her arms crossed. "What's next? New Year's Eve? Your birthday? You might as well move in with him already!" A tone in her voice told me she wasn't too happy about it. "It's a 99% chance that this is your sisters last Christmas and you have the audacity to leave?"

I sighed. I knew she tried to make me feel guilty, and to be honest, it worked. I didn't want to go to Monaco anymore. I could always go to Monaco, not on Sophia's last Christmas. My planning said to stay at home for the first day of my favourite holiday and take a midnight plane to the country my boyfriend lived in. He'd celebrate the first day with his family and the second day with me. I still hadn't met his family and to do such thing on a Christmas Day went a little too far out of my comfort zone.

Christmas was all about being comfortable with the ones you love. Even though the last few years I seemed to lack a bit of the Christmas spirit, I knew this year would be different. My standards were set high, especially after I heard we'd have a real tree in our house. Last Christmas, we had to put up with some plastic tree, where the lights already rested on the twigs! Struggling with the long tangled cord was half the fun of decorating the house. "I'll go cancel my flight." I sighed, closing my suitcase. "But if my boyfriend is disappointed it's your fault."

"You shouldn't have made plans on Christmas in the first place, not until you're serious." I rolled my eyes, did she forget I was an adult now? She couldn't control me, well, she could and she definitely did. She had a point though; how could I be so selfish to fly out of the country on a holiday we assumed to be Sophia's last, no one would be surprised if she didn't make it to Easter. "Thank you, Daisy, I don't care where you go as long as you're here for special days. We've barely seen you this year."

"I'm cancelling already!" I said. Mum's moment of manipulation worked, she didn't have to rub it in. She walked out of my room, closing the door. I unpacked my suitcase and shoved it back under my bed. I dialled Charles' number on the old fashioned phone I received as an early Christmas gift. My grandma used to own it and it turned into one of my personal favourites. All the things in my room made sense and calling with this bright pink phone had such a different feel to it than just using my smartphone. "Sorry baby," I sighed. "I can't make it, I really want to, but mum talked some sense into me, I need to be here for my sister, I hope you understand."

"Of course mon ange," He said, he didn't sound too enthusiastic at my sudden cancelling of our plans. "I've bought your present already, but I guess you'll have to wait."

"You don't need to buy me presents," I chuckled. "But now I'm curious, what did you get me?" I plopped on the bed, face first. I rested my head on my arm as I listened to his response, he wanted to keep it a secret. "Charli please, I hate surprises."

"I'll give you one hint," he teased. A proud grin formed on my lips, I actually managed to convince him to tell me something. "You're gonna like it." I rolled my eyes, this wasn't my goal. "Also, you never allowed me to spoil you after Singapore."

"Because I can take care of myself!" I chuckled. "You don't need to spoil me, I'm kind of successful now, you know? Don't waste your money." I heard a loud sigh from the other side of the line. "You without a shirt would also be a very nice gift, hint hint."

"It's a little cold now to walk around without a shirt, Daisy." He stated. "Unless you'd keep me warm." That looks more like it. "If you really want me to take off my shirt in this weather you've got to be very convincing."