69. You can run...

Part 2/3 of the crossover with my lovely friend KateStark36 make sure to check out her work as well! Comments and votes are appreciated.

The following morning I spend quite some time at the circuit, obviously, since we had free practice today. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this race as I would be getting 10 extra seconds added up to my qualifying time, which in the most predictable case meant I'd start last. George might be slow, but in no way he was ten seconds off the polesitter. That couldn't happen. I still considered it to be a little weird that they didn't give me a grid penalty, but okay, I had nothing to say about this. I knew I wouldn't make it to Q3 tomorrow, as I only planned to do one lap and then go back into the garage. I didn't feel like wasting tyres when I'd start last anyway. I just needed to practice enough today so I wouldn't miss out when the others drove a full qualifying session.

"Not a single mistake!" Joey exclaimed as he inspected my lap. "And a current p6, decent in my eyes."  I rolled my eyes, in this car, a P6 was amazing, especially when you compared it to Kimi's time. My teammate had a pretty hard season I guessed, but he performed as the car did. "Can you go faster?"

I shrugged and looked at that amazing lap I had put in, the two Ferrari's were on top followed closely by Mercedes and a Redbull. I could never compete with those teams. Even I would accuse myself of witchcraft if that ever happened. "I'm afraid I have to disappoint," I sighed, resting my hands on my hips. "Where is Wilson driving?" I asked, just for confirmation. I totally supported the idea of more girls in Formula 1, but I did not mentally prepare myself for the case that she might be faster than me. Another thing that wasn't ever going to happen. "Joey?"

Joey kept staring at the screen in front of him. "You still have half an hour left, it's not weird if the standings change a little." I glared at Joey and repeated the same question as before. "You might want to get back into the car, Dais."

"Excuse me?" I could not believe my eyes. "She has to be kidding me, how is she faster than Carlos?" Joey let out a sigh of relief, resulting in me smacking the back of his head. This wasn't a time to relax, a McLaren was faster than me! Not just a McLaren, no, it was Liz her car. "Joey! How is she faster than Carlos?"

"I don't know!" Joey slammed his fist on his desk, making my water bottle fall over. "Dais, get back into the car, now. It's a matter of life and death."

"Overreacting much?" I scoffed. "Nobody is going to die under my watch." I forced a smile and put on my helmet again.

"You're going to kill the girl aren't you?" Joey asked. "Please don't."

"I'm not going to kill her." I smiled, even though Joey couldn't see my smile from under the helmet. "I'm just going to show her who is the boss."

"You're the most toxic person I've ever met,"  Joey stated. "I still love you though, go kick some ass."

When there wasn't a lot of traffic in the pitlane, I crossed the road back to my garage, where my mechanics sat around the car. I clapped my hands and with raised brows, they turned their attention to me. I explained I just needed to put another lap in, in the meantime I dropped back to seventh for that matter, only Max separating Liz and me. I just needed to gain a few tenths and I was willing to risk everything for those seconds.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one with the idea to improve my timing as a certain McLaren with the number 64 left her garage as well. I rolled my eyes but then decided to focus on a good lap. Just like I did before, but faster. The free practices didn't mean anything, it would just be frustrating to be slower than a rookie.