Volume 1: Chapter 1 Part 1

Part 1

At 8:20am, Kiyotaka and Kei exited dorm room 401 on the fourth floor and began making their way to the elevator. Since it was a boys floor, a few boys were already standing at the elevator entrance.

"Yo. Ayanokouji."

In that small group waiting for the ride down to the ground floor was a boy rocking red hair. It was Sudou Ken, a student in the same class as Kiyotaka and Kei. He raised his hand to greet the two as they approached, Kiyotaka doing the same in response.

"Morning Sudou. You're up a little early. Don't you usually come near 10 minutes before homeroom begins?" Kiyotaka started up a conversation with Sudou as they all waited for the elevator.

Sudou in turn raised his arm and put his hand behind his head as if he was scratching it.

"I guess it does seem weird that I'm here even earlier than normal. Suzune told me last week that the second semester may start to get more hectic and warned me that written exams could be a possibility early on. So I've been preparing myself for that."

"So you've been studying a lot this whole past week? Even to the point you're going to start coming into school early?"

It wasn't Kiyotaka who asked this question, but Kei who was clinging onto his arm.

"Well, yeah. I've been going through every curriculum currently as much as I could. It's been affecting my sleep a little bit," Sudou yawned as he answered the question. "I'm not letting that affect me though. My current Academic Ability ranking in the OAA is at a D+, but I want to increase it to a B or something at minimum."

Sudou's Academic Ability at the start of their second year was an E+, one of the lowest in their class. Since then, he had increased it by one grade to a D+. In terms of actual grades it wasn't that much better, but for someone like Sudou, who wasn't really that well adept in academics, this was a huge improvement.

However, increasing that academic ability on the OAA from D+ to a B would provide a huge benefit not just to him, but to their class too. Securing a ranking around that grade was a goal that everyone who had lower grades had to be doing. And for someone like Sudou, who has changed a lot from the person he used to be back in year 1, it was likely achievable for him if he kept going.

"A 'B' ranking is quite high, but I think you can do it if you continue this studying train you're on. Speaking of which... Kei, we need to increase your academic ability in the OAA too. It's not bad per se, but increasing it to a B like Sudou is trying to do would be helpful."

"Eh... Well I guess that's true... Will you tutor me like you did before, Kiyotaka?"

Kei's academic ability in the OAA wasn't as bad as Sudou's at the beginning. Where Sudou was currently, at a D+, was where Kei's ranking was at the start of their second year. Since then, her ranking had increased to a C, which was the current average rating for students in their class. However, Kiyotaka deemed it better that the ranking needed to increase to Sudou's goal.

"Yeah. I'll tutor you myself. It might also be worth joining in on Yousuke's lessons if he's going to provide any. And maybe Chabashira-sensei's if she'll provide any too. But I'll tutor you in my room anyway."

Kei blushed and smiled happily at Kiyotaka's agreement to her question. Witnessing the blossom of the couple in front of him, Sudou felt a little awkward around the two. The other boys around them probably felt the same, but they weren't important. An invisible light bulb then appeared above Sudou's head as he came to the realisation of something.

"Come to think of it, Karuizawa came out of your room this early in the morning, Ayanokouji. Did you two sleep together? In fact, did you two do anything more while you were together?"