Volume 1: Chapter 4 Part 3

Part 3

"Shall we move onto the next question or do you guys require another toilet break?"

Chabashira asked the class as soon as the results disappeared from the screen. Her demeanour hadn't changed since the start of the exam, but Kiyotaka noticed there was a slight change of tone in her voice.

He remembered that the expulsion question that came up in her exam ended up being the last question. While they were getting closer to the last question, Chabashira's slight change in voice didn't exactly make sense to Kiyotaka.

[Is there something wrong with the third question that I don't know about?] He asked himself.

"OK... let's move on to the third question."

Kiyotaka did not have time to think about it too much as the next question appeared on the front screen.

QUESTION THREE:

Either the private points that are paid out according to class points each month are reduced to zero and three random students in the class will be given protection points.

Alternatively, the number of private points awarded could be halved, and a specific student could be awarded a protection point.

If neither of these options is desired, the bottom five students in the next written exam will receive zero private points.

Note: No matter which option is chosen, the period of private point forfeiture will continue for six months.

Unlike the previous two questions, this one encompassed major advantages and disadvantages within the class. In option one, the payback was greater because of the larger number of private points you lose, but they also couldn't overlook the fact that 3 protection points would be given to random students. Protection points were a very powerful ally but it was important that they were given to students who needed them most and not random.

Option two was also not cheap, as the amount of private points transferred to students every month for the next 6 months would be halved. Moreover, only one student would be granted a protection point. It was important that if this option was chosen that they had to carefully choose the selected student.

Option three existed as a means to minimise the loss of private points as much as possible. This would be the option one would choose if they found the protection points too expensive or if they didn't need them in the first place. However, there were still disadvantages here. Five students who get the lowest scores in the next exam would not be awarded any private points for 6 months.

In addition to calculating the profit and loss of each option, Kiyotaka noted that it was also necessary to consider the class situation. Some students may have a lot to say, but there is no other way but to vote first.

"Before you all vote, let's talk about the case where there is unanimity on option two, the option to grant to a particular student. If the vote is unanimous on this choice, we will move on to the next option where we will continue to determine one person without clearing question three. You remember the practice example we did a few days ago, don't you?"

To recap, the small 10 minute interval between answering the first part of the question and the next part would be used to select one student and collect votes for or against granting it to that student. If the vote is unanimous in favour, the student will receive a protection point. But if the vote is unanimous against, the student will no longer have a chance in that question. Then, the remaining 38 students will discuss and select one candidate.