2. Surprise

you had to wake up early today, Lily needed to go to school and before that she needed to get dressed and needed a full breakfast: pancakes, fruit and all. the schedule included exactly what to eat in a day. you sigh before you get up and make breakfast. a few minutes later Lily walks up to you, looking around the room. "where's mommy?" she asked surprised. "she's working" you say to her "come sit I made breakfast" you tell her. "I don't want to eat breakfast with you" she says in an angry tone. "you need to eat something and your mom is working. so you have to eat with me. look I even made pancakes" you say showing her. "daddy always makes micky ones" she say, while she disappointedly sits down. "I will try to make mickey once next time okay?" you say to her. "with chocolate" she says, and you see her getting a little less sad. "okay deal" you say smiling at her as she eats.

after breakfast you drive her to school "have fun" you say as you drop her off, but she doesn't say anything as she joins her friends. you drive home, already feeling lucky you have a few hours to yourself when Lilly's at school. "oh nanny" you hear Nathalie, Lily's mom yell behind you. "one of the cleaners called in sick, can you take over the washing, thank you" she says, before you could even answer she was gone. you sigh, great there goes your free time.

after you were finally done with the washing you already needed to pick Lily up from school and go to theater lessons with her. "how was school?" you ask as you drive to the local theater. "okay" she says shortly. "not fun?" you ask. you see her getting a little teary eyed before she shakes it off "it was okay" she say. a wave of sadness filled you, she hid her sadness or whatever it was. was it just because of you, because she didn't know you, or did she do it to everyone. "so you ready for theater?" you ask her to hopefully light the mood. "no" she says shortly. "you don't like acting?" you ask her. "sometimes" she says softly "but my parents like me to do it" she says. "have you told your parents you didn't like it as much?" you ask her. "no, it would hurt them" she says. again your heart broke a little, how could a 6 year old already worry about those things.

2 weeks later

"come on Lils we have to go" you yell. "I don't want to go" she yells back. "do you remember our deal?" you ask, knowing that will make her. "only if I can get the sprinkles on top" she says. "okay" you say and she storms downstairs, ready for her dance and vocal practice. you and Lily have become quite close, she trusts you now and is not afraid to speak her mind to you. you've come to learn she is a people pleaser, especially a parents pleaser. she thinks of them as heroes, wants to do everything right in her mind. she also is really good at hiding emotions from her parents. the few times you see her with Nathalie she's the most emotionless kid. it hurts you to see, but unfortunately, your just the nanny. you also came to find out she misses her dad a lot. they seem to have a better relationship with each other, than that she has with her mom. it's hard for her though, that he's away so much. you've come to learn her dad in an actor, and if you believed the story's she told, quite a big actor too.

it was also hard sometimes being her nanny, she could have a lot of tantrums, probably from all the pent up emotions. it wasn't your place to say but Nathalie was kind of a shit mother. but hey you couldn't say much different about the dad, being gone for so long. after lily's dance and vocal practice you 2 get an ice cream. "maybe I want to be a doctor" she says out of nowhere. you look at her confused. "you asked me what i wanted to be a 2 weeks ago" she says "I want to be a doctor or a dentist, make it less scary for people". you look at her, not only are you surprised she would like to be something completely different from what her parents wanted for her, or at least mom wanted. but she also remembered what you asked 2 weeks back. "that would be nice, I'm quite scared of the dentist" you say, truthfully. "my grandpa is a dentist, he is really nice" she says while her ice cream is leaking all over her hands.