9. Come home

a few days later you get ready for lunch with Lily and Chris. you walk to the place you would meet, a unknown restaurant. Chris probably didn't want anyone seeing the 3 of you. you walk in and see Chris sit at the table, alone. "hey" he says smiling as he stands up to meet you. "hey where's Lily?" you ask him. "yeah about that" he says. "I decided to come alone, I just.... I wanted an honest conversation with you, so I decided to leave lily at home. maybe we can do something after this with the 3 of us..but that's just" he says. "that's okay, I understand" you say sitting down, but deep down you got a bit nervous now. "so how are you doing?" he asked as you had ordered. "I'm okay, how are you?" you ask him. "stressed" he says as he puts his hand thru his hair, he seemed stressed. 

"what's on your mind?" you ask him

"what's on your mind?" you ask him. "I've been trying to figure stuff out, it's just...it's hard" he says. you see him struggle. "what are you trying to figure out?" you ask him. "if things still work between Nat and me, or if I should just-" he doesn't finish the sentence. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't talk with you about this stuff" he says. "it's okay, I'm here if you wanna talk....about whatever it is you wanna talk about. I won't judge" you say smiling softly to him. "thank you" he says, sounding actually thankful.

"it's been hard without you" he says softly, like he's scared to admit it. "okay what's that look for?" you ask him as you see he's getting a bit sad and frustrated. he sighs "just the fact that I can't seem to get my daughter to behave......not the way you do. am I a shit dad?" he asks you, pain in his eyes.  "no you're a good dad" you tell him. "is that an honest answer, or an answer you think I would wanna hear" he says in a serious tone. "listen all I know is she just misses you....a lot" you say swallowing hard, hating you have to tell him this. "that's just it, maybe she's just looking for attention and maybe she just thinks negative attention is better than no attention at all" you tell him. "what does she think about Nat?" he asks you. "I really shouldn't-" you want to say but he cuts you off. "please tell me y/n, I need to know" he says. "there relationship isn't...that great. and..." you say being silent for a second. "and what?" Chris asks. "and she isn't good with kids. like she has seriously no idea what she is doing. she treats lily like an adult" you tell him. "I know" he says sighing.

"she didn't want to have kids" he tells you after a moment of silence. "but I really wanted kids and she knew, so she did it for me. she blames me for being away so much, because to be honest, she didn't ask for this" he tells you. "that makes sense" you say looking down. "I had just hoped once Lily was here, that Nat would love her and care for her and forget that she never wanted kids in the first place. but maybe I had hoped for too much" he says looking sad. "I'm sorry" you say softly to him. "what are you sorry for? I should say sorry to you for getting you in the middle of this mess" he says "I just......I just see you with Lily and her being happy and I guess I just always hoped that Nat would be just like that" he says looking straight into your eyes now. god his beautiful blue eyes, that you could get lost in for hours, if you let yourself. but you didn't let yourself because he was a married man with a kid, at least that's what you tried to remind yourself of, whenever you were with him.