18. We need to talk

Chris' pov

as you come downstairs the smell of popcorn fills your nose. you look at y/n who has made a bowl full of popcorn. "I thought this will take your mind off of things" she says smiling to you. god that girl had no idea what effect she has on you. "do you want a beer or wine .... or something stronger" she asks. "a beer is fine" you tell her smiling softly as you sit down on the couch while she walk up with 2 beers. she hands you one before she sits next to you on the couch. "which movie do you wanna watch?" she asks you. "can we just talk" you ask her. she seems surprised by that but nods. "yeah sure, whatever you need" she says. god that made your mind immediately think of all the naughty things you wanna do with her, but you shake it out of your thoughts, you need a serious conversation with y/n now, maybe sex later.

"so uhm, did you talk about Lily about, well......about us?" you ask her. she seems shocked that you ask her. "no, I don't think I did" she says, sounding genuinely surprised. "what did she say?" she asks. "she uhm, well....she really sees you as a mother figure" you tell her and you sigh out loud.

your pov

he sighs out loud. "what's wrong?" you ask him. "lily uhm, she maybe mentioned wanting you to be a mother to her, and I don't really know what to do with that, you know" he says. shit this was not at all the conversation you expected to have. "oh yeah she uhm" you say thinking back to that one conversation she had with you in the kitchen. "did she talk with you about that?" Chris asks you, seeing your face change. "well kinda" you say softly, regretting not telling him this earlier. "she ones asked me if I could be her mom..... incase Natalie wouldn't came back" you say swallowing hard "but it probably was just because she was sad" you add. "what did you tell her?" he asks, almost afraid of the answer. "I told her I'm not gonna be her mom, but that I always will be her friend" you tell him. you see him relax "okay, that's...that's good" he says, which hurts you a bit.

"what did you 2 talk about?" you ask him surprised as to where all of this came from. "she just told me she wouldn't mind me and Nat splitting up. like how can she say that she's 6" he says, and you see his anxiety rise up again. "sometimes kids just wanna help their parents, without really realizing the actual changes that are going with it. I think she just wants to help. and to be honest, I think she just wants the fighting to stop" you say, the last part only in a whisper while you look down.

Chris lifts your head up and looks at you with a pained look in his eyes. "I didn't upset you, did I, when Nat was here the other day?" he asks worried. you softly shake your head no, but he doesn't seem convinced. "I just want you to know I will never hurt you y/n, never" he says it so seriously, you're a bit confused where all this is coming from. then you see his eyes trail down, to your thigh, where your burn mark is visible, due to the pj shorts you were wearing. he lays his hand on your thigh and softy rubs over the mark with his thumb. "did your parents do this to you?" he asks softly. his eyes find yours, which are full of pain, like he almost believes he's as bad as your parents. you softly nod, not being able to speak right now. "why?" he asks, as a whisper, but you hear it. "because I didn't listen so they started yelling at me, making me cry. my dad never wanted kids and my mom......she had had a illness that....changed her. they couldn't stop me from crying, so my dad he.........he grabbed his cigarette and....." you're not able to get more out of your mouth as a single tear rolls over your cheek. you actually never told anyone that. not even your best friends, not that you had a lot, but they all thought it was just a birthmark.

"I'm sorry" he says, eyes full of guilt. "for what?" you ask surprised "all you've done is giving me a job, giving me the pleasure to meet your amazing daughter and" you hesitate before you say "you've given me a home". his eyes lit up a little. "you're always welcome here, you know that right?" he says and you nod. you know, because you never felt more at home anywhere, you've felt safe....well as long as Natalie wasn't here. his hand now finds your cheek, wiping some tears away from your eyes with his thumb.