Jay

A whumpee that has spent so much time in captivity and is so conditioned that they forget any and all aspects of outside life. They're brought to Caretaker's home, Caretaker is told "this one will be a LOT of work." Caretaker says "I don't do this job to not work."

First night: Caretaker brings out the softest blanket they can find and gives it to Whumpee who is brought to tears. "Whumpee? Whatever is the matter, dear? Are you ok?" "Sniff yes Mx. I just, have n-never felt something so SOFT." "Not, not even from before you were taken?" "Mx., there is no "before." I was always Old Mx.'s "plaything" as they called me." Caretaker decides to leave it at that. No need to upset the boat on the first night.

After some time, Caretaker can't take it anymore and shows Whumpee their papers. A BIG no no in the Caretaking Organization world. "LOOK. LOOK at these papers. You had a life before this! I am not your new Mx.! PLEASE try to remember. What can I do? What can I give you to help you remember? Did you have a plushie that you loved? A picture of loved ones? I will go to the ends of the earth to find it for you. Just please. We have talked about not calling me Mx. and you did have a life before your trauma."

Whumpee looks up from the papers and pictures with watery eyes, seeing the pictures of them before and after the ordeal releasing memories that were locked away. "M-my name was.. IS Jay?" "Yes sweetheart. Welcome back to the world. I may lose my job after this so whatever happens, I wish you the best and I have so much love in my heart for you and your journey to recovery."

Caretaker loses their job after Jay's next therapy appointment once it comes to light what Caretaker had done.

"But they're BETTER! Why am I losing my job for HELPING them?!"

"Caretaker, you KNEW it was against the rules to do that. End of story. Jay will be collected this evening. You may have dinner with them but afterwards, we will be there at 7pm sharp. Have their things ready."

"Jay? We're going out to dinner! And we're going on vacation! I know it's last minute and you don't like finding out late but I wanted to surprise you." "Oh! Um, ok, what will I need?" "As many pairs of clothes you can pack. We're going away for a long time. Don't worry about therapy, I got permission for you from the Org to take a break since you've been doing so well. This is a reward!" Caretaker was lying through their teeth but they would not let Jay be taken from them only to have them go backwards in progress upon meeting their new Caretaker.