A Day at the Lake

Tw: open water, being abandoned in a large body of water

Whumpee was poked awake.

"Get in."

Groggily rising, Whumpee looked at the small cage next to them with Whumper expectantly holding the door open.

Weighing options of whether to fight were cut short when they were grabbed and pushed in roughly.

"We don't have all day, idiot."

Whumper wheeled Whumpee up the ramp from the basement level to the car. Once loaded in the trunk with a blanket draped over the crate, they were off.

Whumpee hated every part of this. The cramped space, the car sickness, the torture - obviously.

As soon as the trunk was opened, Whumpee's heart rate shot up. They could hear waves. They were at the lake.

Whumper loved boating. Whumpee? Not so much. Whumpee has Thalassophobia, or, fear of bodies of water, open water, dark water they can't see into, etc.

Whumpee screamed and cried as they were wheeled onto the dock.

"If you don't shut up, I'll drop you in right now and let you drown in the cage."

Whumpee quieted themselves.

Now on the boat, Whumpee felt it roar to life and speed out to the center of the lake. Tears streamed down their face as they knew what would be coming.

Once far enough away from shore that Whumpee couldn't make a for it, their cage was opened. It's not like they would try and swim away, they were glued to the railing trying to take even breaths.

Whumper turned to their captive toy and said plainly, "ok, you know the drill, get in."

With big, sad, wet eyes, Whumpee silently pleaded no. Whumper didn't hesitate to grab Whumpee by the shoulder and under the knee and toss them in the cool water.

Coming up sputtering and flailing, Whumper called to them "it's a hot day! Enjoy your swim!" and drove off cackling.

Whumper never went far, maybe only 20-30 feet away. The didn't want their toy to drown so they had to stay somewhat close, plus, staying that close gave them the fun chance to let Whumpee swim close to the boat and think they'd be allowed back on only for Whumper to drive away again.

Whumper knew that once Whumpee realized they could just float on their back, that the fun would be over. They also knew that wouldn't happen because Whumpee was too afraid of the water.

Whumper was impressed. Whumpee was really putting up a fight to stay afloat. They lasted about 30 minutes until they went under and didn't resurface. That was Whumper's cue. Jumping in, they found the drowning person easily and brought them back up. Giving rescue breaths, Whumper was no first-timer to reviving drowned people.

Whumpee coughed and sprang back to life in a panic. They felt a waterfall erupt from their lungs and onto the boat deck. After coughing up all the extra water and then some, they collapsed in exhaustion as the hot sun beat down and Whumper stood over them.

"You're a disgusting mess. If you're going to throw up, do it over the side," they scoffed.

Half-crawling and half-kicked, they were put back into their cage where they slipped into a state of partial sleep. Completely exhausted, they easily watched the sunlight dance on the blanket covering their cage as Whumper drove them to the safety of the car.

"I love the lake!" Whumper mused to themselves.